Re: LDraw.org Theme and Usability
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2010 11:19:58 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Orion Pobursky wrote:
Any ideas big or small are welcome.  The more input, the better.

Some random thoughts that just crossed my mind:

* We need a CMS that requires little or no maintenance. Periodic tasks such as
thumbnail generation for a parts update should be automatized. No CMS that
spreads tasks over different places such as the current PN download module or
the user/member list/permissions module.
* Participation at the various POTM, MOTM and SOTM should just require the
submission of a .dat, .ldr or .jpg/.png/.gif file while the rest is done by the
site.
* The current news structure doesn't suit LDraw. We just have 4 - 5
announcements a year. Therefore the homepage should instead feature some catchy
screenshot what's all about and a BIG download button.
* The current member management system is just hilarious and we should really
condense it down to people how contribute like part authors, programmers,
tutorial writers, ... which are considered members, while the rest are users.
* Should come with a forum (also a closed section for LSC, SteerCo), a wiki, a
OMR (finally), an integrated gallery and a file management system that is worth
this name. The new CMS should aim to accommodate one-stop-shopping
* Readable URLs - "Articles" is just meaningless.
* Get rid off the "Topic/Category" structure, the help desk (which should be
redirected to the forum), the FAQ (which should be redirected to the wiki) and
pages such "links", "link to us", "credits", "Documentation for LEDIT and
LDRAW", "contribute". To make it short: Small is beautiful!
* No such things as ratings, medals, post counter, activity meter, ...
* No such things as LIKE, SHARE or COMMENT button. No Facebook, MySpace,
Twitter, Flickr-Group, TheMotherOfAllSocialNetworks button. - The forum should
really be enough.
* A Search that's worth this name.
* Can be maintained without a master in computer science - which means that it
ships with a well written manual.

w.