Re: Legacy Files on the Parts Tracker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 2003 19:59:28 GMT

My solution to this "problem" is patience.

For how long?  A year?  *Two*?  I've *already* waited that long
for some of the files on the PT.  How much longer should I be
asked to wait before others agree with me that there *is* a
problem?

Part of the reason I cannot let go of this, is because I feel
that I (and the other non-Admins) have been *dis*enfranchised
by the reorganization.

Before, everyone's vote was *equal*.

Now, they aren't.  If you're not an Admin, then your vote
is only so good.

Before, if the *majority* said "this file is good" then the file
was released in a (usually) timely fashion.  On the other hand,
if the majority said "nope; try again" you at least got *somewhere*
("I'll fix the file and try again next release").

Now, no matter *how* good your code is, no matter *how* many
(non-Admin) people say "yes, this file is good," if one of
the Admins doesn't bother to review it, the file sits and stays
there, for ever, and ever, and ever!

Some have said that the satisfaction of encoding a DAT file
should be in the coding.  I counter by saying that for me,
that's only *part* of it; the other part comes when my work
is made a *permanent* part of the library (assuming, of course,
that my work is good enough for inclusion).  In other words,
a major portion of my reward is knowing that, if I were to
drop dead tomorrow, or struck by lighting, or be run over
by a bus, or whatever, I nevertheless made a *contribution*
to an organized effort that had meaning to me.  Having a file
linger for years on the Tracker is *not* a contribution,
just a *pending* contribution.

Pummelling the deceased equine,
Franklin