Re: Legacy Files on the Parts Tracker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 06:35:35 GMT

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Andrew Westrate wrote:

Another thing I don't like, is how we keep primitive files on hold, even
when there is nothing wrong with them.  I agree that they shouldn't be
released if they aren't used, but it would be far easier to have someone
upload a group of ring, cone, and torus primitives as a block, review
them all at once, and create a special state that sets them aside until
they are used (for instance, "Approved Primitive").

I think something like this (or just releasing unused primitives) would be
useful.  There is a clear advantage to "locking in" primitives:  they are
designed to be used by multiple authors; if they are not properly examined
and said to be good, they may need to be changed. . .breaking parts that
used them.  (Especially with parts on the Tracker for a long time,
multiple parts might use a primitive before there is a strong reason to
review it carefully.)

--
TWS Garrison
http://www.math.purdue.edu/~tgarriso/