Re: Legacy Files on the Parts Tracker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:11:33 GMT

In general, I agree with Orion that having the parts tracker is much better than
not having it, and that the main problem is that there are too few active
reviewers.  Just as a reminder to those reviewers out there, look at the parts
queue, which sorts parts by age:
<http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptqueue.cgi?full=0>

But, I do think that there could be some improvements with the parts tracker.
For one thing, I don't like how files with subfiles always get sorted to the
bottom of the parts list, because then they  always say "X subfiles aren't
certified" instead of "needs more votes" or "needs admin review."  I can't think
of any reason the minifig suticase hasn't been approved, other than it sorts to
the bottom of the queue, and so hasn't attracted the admins' attentions.  I
think a way to fix this is to have the status ignore subfiles until it has
gotten all the votes it needs.  Then these parts would go from "needs votes"
(SX) to "needs admin review" (CCSX) to "has uncertified subfiles" (ACCSX) to
"certified" (ACCX).

Another thing I don't like, is how we keep primitive files on hold, even when
there is nothing wrong with them.  I agree that they shouldn't be released if
they aren't used, but it would be far easier to have someone upload a group of
ring, cone, and torus primitives as a block, review them all at once, and create
a special state that sets them aside until they are used (for instance,
"Approved Primitive").

Andy