Re: Legacy Files on the Parts Tracker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 02:08:52 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Franklin W. Cain wrote:
<snip>
Fourth, I *still* maintain that there is a bottle-neck in the process, one that
was *intentionally*put*there*by*design*.  I refer, of course, to the requirement
that no matter *how*many* non-Admin-level reviewers -- whether two or 200 --
certify a file, it will sit *forever* in the PT until (at least) one of the two
Admins *also* certifies said file.  Why can't we set up an alternative to this
(i.e., instead of waiting for an Admin vote)?  Wouldn't it make sense to say "if
[x] number of non-Admins certify, then the file is certified" (for [x] equal to
a sufficiently high number)?

I'm opposed to the [x] number of votes equals an admin vote for a couple of
reasons:

- I envision a group of reviewers getting together the push a few low quality or
controversial parts through at the last minute.  It really wouldn't be that
hard.  The admins usually announce when they're getting ready to do an update.
All it would take is someone to resubmit the part at the last minute to reset
the hold vote(s) and then all of them certifying.  Most don't keep tabs on the
PT closely enough to catch this before an update is released.

- Would a self cert count towards the [x] amount of votes?  My dislike of self
cert is well known but if something like this were implemented, it would cause
me to shift from tolerence of those to choose to self cert to that of outspoken
opposition of those who do.

My solution to this "problem" is patience.  This is a hobby and the Admins
perform admin duties when the real world allows.  I feel they provide vital
oversight and have caught some very obvious errors on parts in the past.

-Orion