Re: Legacy Files on the Parts Tracker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 21:06:56 GMT

Thanks for the feedback.

First of all, to my mind, the number of files processed and released has no
bearing on the issue I raised, that there are *several* files that have been
sitting on the Parts Tracker for *well* over a year (almost *two* years, in some
cases).

Second, the File Queue ("http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptqueue.cgi?full=0") sorts
by Date of *Last Action*, and *not* by Date Initially Uploaded.  Since some of
these older files can have someone do something (voting "No Vote" to leave
comments, for example), I use the latter to determine how old a file on the PT
really is.

Third, I am *not* in any way saying that Steve and/or Chris are not doing a good
job as Admin -- they *are* doing a *fantastic* job, in my opinion.

Fourth, I *still* maintain that there is a bottle-neck in the process, one that
was *intentionally*put*there*by*design*.  I refer, of course, to the requirement
that no matter *how*many* non-Admin-level reviewers -- whether two or 200 --
certify a file, it will sit *forever* in the PT until (at least) one of the two
Admins *also* certifies said file.  Why can't we set up an alternative to this
(i.e., instead of waiting for an Admin vote)?  Wouldn't it make sense to say "if
[x] number of non-Admins certify, then the file is certified" (for [x] equal to
a sufficiently high number)?

Thanks,
Franklin