Re: Legacy Files on the Parts Tracker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 23:44:36 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Franklin W. Cain wrote:
<snip a long list of URLs>
The major reason I was so skeptical of the Parts Tracker (and
my major current grievance with same) is that I knew --
I **KNEW** -- that something like this would inevitably happen,
based on my experience with human nature...

The way we did things under the "old" system was, we'd amass
a (hopefully *large*) group of CAD files, they'd get posted
on the 'Web, everyone would have a couple of weeks to check
them, and then we'd vote, and *every* *file* *would* *get*
*processed*, either "it's good; send it out" or "nope; try
again".  Nothing like this incredible back-log (1,400 files!!)
we've currently got.

I have a couple of thought on this:

1.)  The numbers don't support your claims.  In 2002, the first full year of the
PT, we released over 800 files, over 500 of which were new parts, this is more
than the years 1998, 1999, and 2000 combined.  Not only are we releasing higher
quality parts but we're releasing more of them.

2.)  I consider the OLD way flawed and inaccurate.  Have a look at part 2598.
This part would never make it thought the PT without a hold, yet it made it
through the OLD system.  I would rather release high quality parts that take a
while to get through the system than substandard one the are shoved through.

3.)  The PT provide a central repository for all unofficial part.  This
convienience alone makes the PT better than the OLD way.  I remember when I had
to spend hours searching Lugnet and Google to find a part I needed, now I can
just search the PT.  Just because a part is unofficial doesn't mean it can't be
used in a model.

4.)  The PT helps the official library improve by allowing potential part author
to peruse the different files for inspriation, easing the process by which part
fixes are handled, and giving the part author a place to find different
primitives that are not found in the official library.

Even if we stopped uploading new files, even if the two Admins
(Steve and Chris) devoted their every waking moment to reviewing
the existing files, it will still take (by my estimate) the
better part of a *year* to get all the files we've currently
got out the door.

I respectfully suggest that something might not be right with
this situation.  (Not necessarily all-the-way-*broken*, I'll be
willing to concede, but definitely something-ain't-right)...

The only thing "broken" with the PT the I see, is that not enough of us
routinely review parts.  By my count, the only regular reviewers are myself,
you, Andrew Westrate, Paul Easter, and Mark Kennedy.  But, alas, this is a hobby
and the real world does and should take precidence.

You make it sound like we are in dire straits when, in fact, we are far from it.
Am I annoyed that some of my parts have been sitting on the PT for over a year,
a little bit.  But when I step back and get the big picture, I realize that
every system has it flaws and, in the long run, the PT is one of the best things
to ever happen to the LDraw community

-Orion