Re: Legacy Files on the Parts Tracker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 03:40:57 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Franklin W. Cain wrote:
For how long?  A year?  *Two*?  I've *already* waited that long
for some of the files on the PT.  How much longer should I be
asked to wait before others agree with me that there *is* a
problem?

Make deals with people.  Trade reviews - you'll look at their files (and offer
honest reviews) if they'll look at yours.

Part of the reason I cannot let go of this, is because I feel
that I (and the other non-Admins) have been *dis*enfranchised
by the reorganization.

I'm sorry you've gotten that feeling.  My feeling is that the current system
gives a lot *more* power to the standard reviewer than the old system did.

Before, everyone's vote was *equal*.

Now, they aren't.  If you're not an Admin, then your vote
is only so good.

I perceive the old-vs-new situation somewhat differently.

Before, one person (the admin) would be responsible to receive all the files,
and review all the files to make sure they were properly organized, numbered,
named, without glaring errors, etc.  The admin would work with authors to get
fixes put into files.  All of this would happen privately, with the unofficial
files not available for anyone else to use (or review).  At some point, the
admin would put together a vote where (typically), all the files were approved
for release.  99% of the time, the vote was just a rubber stamp operation.

With the PT, new files are submitted to the public list, where any reviewer can
start looking at them and any modeler can download them for use.  There is a
final, required check by an admin, true.  That step is in place because there
are some subtle 'quality' issues that we either *really* want to get right the
first time, or cannot be changed after a part is released,

The real work in this whole process is the file review -- with the PT, more
people are empowered to get involved in the process of checking out files and
getting fixes put in place.

Before, if the *majority* said "this file is good" then the file
was released in a (usually) timely fashion.  On the other hand,
if the majority said "nope; try again" you at least got *somewhere*
("I'll fix the file and try again next release").

Or, if a file was lost in my email inbox, then it never made it to the vote
stage.  Considering how many files were handled by people emailing them to me,
then I'd file them on my hard drive, and maybe need to move them around, or
renumber them, or send them back, or whatever, it wouldn't be surprising if some
files fell through the cracks.

Now, no matter *how* good your code is, no matter *how* many
(non-Admin) people say "yes, this file is good," if one of
the Admins doesn't bother to review it, the file sits and stays
there, for ever, and ever, and ever!

So nudge the admins occasionally.  It might take a couple (or a few) nudges.
We're real people with real lives.  For example, I haven't had time to go
through lugnet.cad in several weeks.  Which is why this reply is being posted
now.

Steve