Re: Legacy Files on the Parts Tracker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 07:12:25 GMT

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, Franklin W. Cain wrote:

Even if we stopped uploading new files, even if the two Admins (Steve
and Chris) devoted their every waking moment to reviewing the existing
files, it will still take (by my estimate) the better part of a *year*
to get all the files we've currently got out the door.

I respectfully suggest that something might not be right with this
situation.  (Not necessarily all-the-way-*broken*, I'll be willing to
concede, but definitely something-ain't-right)...

Unfortunately, I don't really have any reasonable suggestions on how to
fix this problem.  I sincerely hope that *someone* can think of a
solution that's acceptable to everyone...

I can think if a few things that might help throughput (I'm sure that most
of these have been discussed before):

1) Create a new review attribute "compared to physical part" (which could
apply to an admin or regular review), which certifies that the reviewer
has the part and has actually measured it, made sure that the pattern
matches reality, whatever.  Then require that at least or two reviews have
this attribute for the part to be certified.  This a) encourages people
who don't have the part to still go ahead and check for gaps, overlaps,
wrong BFC, etc., secure in the knowledge that their approval will not let
a technically proficient but *wrong* part in the library, and b)
encourages people who *do* have the part to review it (their reviews
become more valuable), and to not sweat the technical details if that
would mean fewer reviews (because there are others whose contribution *is*
to sweat the technical details).

2) Create new votes: "will review" and "will not review".  (The "will not
review" could be for whatever undisclosed reason---wrote the part, don't
have the part, don't care about the part, author stole the reviewer's girl
in the seventh grade. . .)  This would most obviously benefit the
admins---if one admin won't review a part, the other knows he must.  It
would really help all reviewers prioritize their reviewing activities.

Note that there is no reason to report names for these votes; a running
tally of "M Admins and N non-Admins have said they will review this part,
X Admins and Y non-Admins have said they will not review this part" (and
the ability to sort by these numbers) would suffice.

3) Create a bit for every part on the Tracker, set at submission time:
(a) Feel free to make fixes if you find problems
(b) Please notify the author if you find problems
with (b) changing to (a) if a part has a hold vote stand for more than 30
days.  This would provide a formal convention which would allow many
small problems to be quickly fixed, while also allowing authors to retain
control of their parts throughout the certification process, if desired.
It would also end the problem of orphan parts.  (There are many orphans
that have been on the Tracker for a long time.)

--
TWS Garrison
http://www.math.purdue.edu/~tgarriso/