Re: Legacy Files on the Parts Tracker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 2003 08:33:14 GMT

I can think if a few things that might help throughput (I'm sure that most
of these have been discussed before):

1) Create a new review attribute "compared to physical part" (which could
apply to an admin or regular review), which certifies that the reviewer
has the part and has actually measured it, made sure that the pattern
matches reality, whatever.  Then require that at least or two reviews have
this attribute for the part to be certified.  This a) encourages people
who don't have the part to still go ahead and check for gaps, overlaps,
wrong BFC, etc., secure in the knowledge that their approval will not let
a technically proficient but *wrong* part in the library, and b)
encourages people who *do* have the part to review it (their reviews
become more valuable), and to not sweat the technical details if that
would mean fewer reviews (because there are others whose contribution *is*
to sweat the technical details).
I agree here.
I own a bunch of "rare" parts and could compare the ldraw parts to the real
thing.
But I dont know anything about the technical stuff and cant say on those.
Also, I could provide comments on part names, KEYWORDS etc (since I know so
much about parts :)