 CAD / Development / 6997
Re: Inline POV-Ray code?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 20:28:46 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Lars C. Hassing writes:
The POV code is (or can be) L3P related.
As an example of that see e.g. Chuck Sommerville's minifig head
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/chucks/Dats/3626bp04.dat

Hmm.  That's not particularly keen.  IMO.  Not that I can see any way
around it.

Which part of it aren't you keen about?  Is it all the extra stuff in
the dat file?  If so, then perhaps this is a good time to dredge up
my 0 INCLUDE suggestion yet again.  ;)

No, I meant the POVRay code referring to L3P-generated objects.  By
allowing this code in official part files, we'd be endorsing language
that hasn't been generally discussed and reviewed.

Not that I see any particular problem with the code.  The situation just
raises a red flag, IMO.

So it appears as if we agree that L3P-generated objects don't
really belong in official LDRAW part files.  Once again this brings
us back to the 0 INCLUDE suggestion.  Imagine that ldraw.org
(or someone else) distributes a separate set of part files for
L3P POV users (sort of an L3P-POV plugin).  This distribution
unzips the files into their own directory, such as %LDRAWDIR%\l3ppov.
Then you only have to put something like this in the official LDRAW
part file.

0 IFNDEF L3PPOV
0 normal LDRAW version of part 326bp04.dat
0 ELSE
0 INCLUDE l3ppov\326bp04.pov
0 ENDIF

It's only four extra lines, and folks that don't want to use the
l3ppov feature don't bother to fetch the l3ppov parts.  Now perhaps
in this case POV already comes with an include statement so we
don't need to define our own, but I can think or other non-POV
uses for 0 INCLUDE.

  http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=6636

Don