 CAD / Development / 6931
Re: Inline POV-Ray code?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 19:28:53 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Tim Courtney writes:
Brings me to a question about the minifig head.  I had a high-res printout of
Cale Leiphart's The Fight scene made for BricksWest, and there were some
inconsistencies.  ... The minifig who is getting thrown back has a polygon
based head, but a round neck. ... The minifig head on the bedpost (round) is
totally cylindrical.

Do the printed minifig head parts need to be fixed?  Has this been fixed, and
Cale doesn't have the latest update?  Just curious.

It's not something that can, or needs to be, fixed.  Only surfaces drawn
with primitive files[1] can be curved in POV-Ray[2].  The patterned area of
the minifig faces are not drawn with the cylinder primitives, so they come
out faceted.

Actually a cheap fix that *almost* works is to go into the printed head
file (such as 3626bp05.dat) and rip out anything that's not color 0.  ie.
gut everything but the printing.  Then paste in 3626.dat instead of
s\3626bs01.dat.  This will slap the printed face onto 3626.dat, which
is implemented in the LGEO parts, so it comes out nice.  Throw in a bit
of scaling to avoid the z-fighting and you get some reasonable looking
minifig heads.

Perhaps this could be done inline with 0 IF POV macros, or as yet another
suggested l3p enhancement. (YASL3PE)

Don

Steve
1) I know, this is an oxymoron.  The real 'primitives' are linetypes 2, 3, 4
and 5.  The files in the ldraw/p/ directory are more like macros.
2) This isn't exactly true, there are ways of telling POV-Ray to blend the
edges when the angle between adjacent surfaces is slight.