 CAD / Development / 7006
7005  |  7007
Special:
[DAT] (requires LDraw-compatible viewer)
Re: Inline POV-Ray code?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 01:08:21 GMT

I see now that your problem is difficult to solve. Sorry I tried to put it
into a nutshell, Steve. My preference would be to design an auxiliary file
for each case, and markup the LDRAW part in a very general way, so that
future programs could address the same problem (replacing curvature, studs
on/off) in their own way. Then there would not have to be a subpart, and
real but alternate LDRAW lines wouldn't have to be hidden in a comment.
Actually this IS like having an in-line subpart with just a comment around it:

0 pure.dat
(ldraw code)
0
0  BEGIN SECTION STUD
1 16 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 stud2.dat
0  END SECTION STUD
0  BEGIN SECTION TUBE
1 16 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 2 ring3.dat
1 16 0 4 0 2 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 2 ring2.dat
1 16 0 4 0 6 0 0 0 20 0 0 0 6 4-4cyli.dat
0  END SECTION TUBE

and an auxiliary file would specify how to replace those blocks:

REPLACE SECTION STUD
#if (STUDS)
QUOTE STUD
#end
END

REPLACE SECTION TUBE
cylinder{<0,0,0>,<0,17,0>,13.001
clipped_by{
    (more L3P/POV-Ray code)
}
END

The STUD section quotes the original block, but conditionally.
The TUBE section specifies a replacement.

I'm sure I'm not the first one to propose a marking-up extension.....

On namespace, yes, a namespace would mean a separate file library containing
the same part names.  It may be that a certain namespace is only enabled
during printing, or when exporting to a renderer.

Namespaces do not solve your problem, where you want abilities like a
preprocessor macro, and one file.