 CAD / Development / 7007
Re: DirectX and .dat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 12:54:16 GMT

Thanks all,

I am going to concetrate on them normals then. I even got some ideas on
how to determn the correct direction for them by examening base lego parts.

But first things first, back to math class for me :)

Roland

rmelkert wrote:

Hi all.

Tim Courtney directed me to this forum on an issue that's bugging me.

I am into the Virtual Lego for about a year now and being a programmer
i started to mess around myself with the dat files etc.

Just for the fun of it I started a little project on displaying a ldraw
model using DirectX 7 (In delphi 5 std). I managed to get the recursive
reading of the files just fine and I am now able to draw a wireview of a
model. But I am having problems converting the coordinates into normals
and vertices. As of a result most of the polygons are kinda inseout or
something. I found out about the triangle decompiling of directx and
corrected some of the poly's but it's still not right. (I can place a p
mugshot on my website of current results if needed)

Is there someone here who can direct me to some information about this
translation problem or exemples.

I discovered in this newsgroup the ldview program and it's source, but
is this compatible with directx or should i shift to opengl alltogether?

I am only a beginner in 3D and directx so this project of mine is more a
learing thing than creating a usefull program at the moment.

Roland