 CAD / Development / 7019
Re: Inline POV-Ray code?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 20:12:18 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Erik Olson wrote:

I see now that your problem is difficult to solve. Sorry I tried to put it
into a nutshell, Steve.

No big deal.  I just wasn't sure which nut you were shelling. :)

My preference would be to design an auxiliary file
for each case, and markup the LDRAW part in a very general way, so that
future programs could address the same problem (replacing curvature, studs
on/off) in their own way. Then there would not have to be a subpart, and
real but alternate LDRAW lines wouldn't have to be hidden in a comment.

Hmm.  The problem is that there would be a lot of cases - we've already
got a way to handle general stuff (by creating 'primitive' files).

And my (general) preference is to not have any more auxiliary files than
necessary - we're already getting too many files in the library.

[snipped example]

I'm sure I'm not the first one to propose a marking-up extension.....

Actually, I think you are the first. :)

It's an interesting idea, with a lot of power.  So much that my head is
starting to hurt. ;)

On namespace, yes, a namespace would mean a separate file library containing
the same part names.  It may be that a certain namespace is only enabled
during printing, or when exporting to a renderer.

Namespaces do not solve your problem, where you want abilities like a
preprocessor macro, and one file.

Right.

Steve