 CAD / Development / 6882 (-40)
  Re: A comprehensive LDraw object model

(...) Well, this raises the point: what ideal is the LDraw format aiming for? I don't think it's really going anywhere; any real change to the format would break compatability with the legacy LDRAW.EXE. I'm proposing a class library for the existing (...) (23 years ago, 10-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Category for segments parts

Carsten wrote: CS> .... CS> For example it would be nice to have ML-Cad known that a special pat is a CS> segment part and when you drop it in the model window it woul ask right away CS> where to set start and end-point and calculate the segment (...) (23 years ago, 10-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: A comprehensive LDraw object model

(...) Standard libraries/classes for reading, writing and processing LDraw and MPD files is certainly a good idea, but I am not certain rendering functions should be a part of such a library although it is an obvious extension. Jacob (23 years ago, 10-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Category for segments parts

Hello! Past few days when i was working up parts who never have been reviewed before in parts tracker I noticed a lot of segment parts for Lego Technic. Basically these parts consists of a small segment or link to make a wire or tube of it (...) (23 years ago, 10-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

"Sproaticus" <jsproat@io.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:GrA7CA.24y@lugnet.com... (...) Shall this lines be only container classes or shall they have the working code? If they have working code, they are heavily depending on the target system (...) (23 years ago, 10-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: A comprehensive LDraw object model

(...) <snip> First, this is a nifty idea. Objectifying this is long overdue. But I was struck wondering, is this trying to objectify the current dat format as it is, or an ideal one as we would like to see it be... Also, are you a fan of the MVC (...) (23 years ago, 10-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: A comprehensive LDraw object model

(...) IIRC (and I wish I could find the reference) the LDraw spec does support this. It depends on the order of the points in the polygon; e.g. clockwise points out, counterclockwise points in. Or something like that. But last I heard of this, there (...) (23 years ago, 10-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: A comprehensive LDraw object model

(...) I'll have a better answer for this when I port my Java implementation to Perl. But yah, I guess "comprehensive" and "generic" don't quite mix well. I want comprehensive, in that this library could be used for many different methods of (...) (23 years ago, 10-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: A comprehensive LDraw object model

I like this. I don't think I can contribute that much. I would like to though. I have been working in Java with my animation program ((URL) and I can contribute a class for LineType1. Most useful is a rotation function that I would like to think is (...) (23 years ago, 10-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: A comprehensive LDraw object model

(...) The base class is abstract, the ones not marked "abstract" aren't. This class hierarchy is actually the class library I whipped up over the past week. About 95% of what I posted here has working code, but I didn't want to push any of that if (...) (23 years ago, 10-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: A comprehensive LDraw object model

(...) Actually this brings up a different issue. I haven't put alot of thought into it yet, but I think it would be useful to add information in the part files that would allow a program to differentiate between geometry that represents 'outside' (...) (23 years ago, 10-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: A comprehensive LDraw object model

How about an LDraw DAT model reducer - something that hacks out the insides and leaves nothing but a hollow shell? This way you could port it to platforms that can't handle so many polygons, and also render in realtime. It would kind of be like (...) (23 years ago, 10-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: A comprehensive LDraw object model

(...) Aren't all of these classes Abstract? I mean this is only a template for implementing a Class Library right? Are you planning on actually filling in the code also? or just defining the interfaces? (...) So far you've got a few more levels in (...) (23 years ago, 10-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: A comprehensive LDraw object model

(...) > (Maybe not too much, let's keep it lean and mean.) At the least, I > think we should make the object model workable in C++, Java, Perl and > Python. (...) This is interesting. I wonder what we can do as far as making it both comprehensive (...) (23 years ago, 10-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: A comprehensive LDraw object model

(...) Here's my first contribution, a rough outline of a class structure. *** LDRAW LINE TYPE CLASSES *** abstract class LineType - ancestor class for all line-type objects + class LineType0 - comment line-type + class LineTypeCommand - command (...) (23 years ago, 9-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  A comprehensive LDraw object model

Hey folks, I think we need to figure out a comprehensive LDraw object model. Something that can be presented simply, and easily ported to various modern programming languages. A comprehensive class diagram would be a great start, and some code to (...) (23 years ago, 9-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LCD - Calling for work

(...) OK, ladies, gentlemen and minifigs, so everybody is agreeing it is a good idea, what is more, it is already a group of good ideas, including LCD itself (by the way, LCD could stand for Lugnet.Cad.Dev, too! :) and the LMPL language, and so on. (...) (23 years ago, 9-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Two new CAD development newsgroups: LCD (LEGO Connection Database) and Macintosh

Two new CAD (Computer Aided Design) software development newsgroups have just been created for the discussion of new CAD software projects. CHARTER/PURPOSE ===...=== -> lugnet.cad.dev.lcd (group): LDraw Connection Database forum: in-depth technical (...) (23 years ago, 8-Feb-02, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.lcd, lugnet.cad.dev.mac)

  Re: LCD - LDraw Connection Database - Proposal

(...) I think the idea of having an LMPL separate from the LCD is definitely a good idea. Not everyone is going to want to do animation or whatnot - I know that I'm personally more interested in just having a good way to connect the parts together. (...) (23 years ago, 7-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Is there a moved-to utility?

(...) There's two programs I know of that do this: MLCad and a Perl script I wrote over three (!) years ago. It wrote the changes back to the original file, and all the little things (like the LDraw path) had to be hard-coded into the script. I (...) (23 years ago, 8-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Is there a moved-to utility?

(...) That would be very handy, and nice to have. I seem to remember there was a program around that performed this job, but I don't remember the details now. LDAO has a "Mover" function, but it only cleans up one file at a time. Steve (23 years ago, 8-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Is there a moved-to utility?

While working with old model files like Datsville, I used to get countless moved-to-messages. I am pretty sure that ML-Cad prompts the user if he/she wants the program to change the references, but that could still be quite a time-consuming thing to (...) (23 years ago, 8-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Stud logos in fan apps

(...) I have no real intent of including any logo on the clone.dat bricks for a number of reasons; nearly every brand has a 2x4 brick, so I'd need to make a different file for each brand's 2x4 brick I wanted to model! Better to sidestep the whole (...) (23 years ago, 7-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: need help w/ name (minifig legs from set #4817)

(...) For what it's worth, I interpret the straps in the pattern as being part of a complete skirt of straps. I emailed LFB about it, I figured if anyone would know the technical term for that piece/type of armor, he would. He said the straps are (...) (23 years ago, 7-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Stud logos in fan apps

(...) Well, it should be noted that any programs that add a LEGO logo to the tops of studs are going to add the same logo to the studs on clone bricks unless the clones use their own (separate) stud primitives. There's not currently any way (that I (...) (23 years ago, 7-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Stud logos in fan apps

(...) Another reason why; The LDraw library of parts is specifically modelling the copyrighted/trademar...d/patented inventory of Lego brand building toys. We know it, they know it. And they have graciously allowed us to do so. Even supported our (...) (23 years ago, 7-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: need help w/ name (minifig legs from set #4817)

(...) Yes - 4b is the next unused code. That's fine, Chris (23 years ago, 6-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: need help w/ name (minifig legs from set #4817)

(...) Thanks for tracking down the part number from Peeron, though - you should post that comment when you submit the file to the tracker. (...) I think 4b is alright. (...) How about: 970p4b Minifig Hips with Leather Belt/Straps Pattern 971p4b (...) (23 years ago, 6-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

How about "Leather Leggings" or "Studded Leather Legs" "Franklin W. Cain" <fwcain@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:Gr319r.KBA@lugnet.com... (...) (23 years ago, 6-Feb-02, to lugnet.build.minifigs, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.castle)

  Re: LCD - LDraw Connection Database - Proposal

(...) I think there is some examples in the proposal too. (...) Yes, I understand you! It would be a programming language based on and according to the LCD. It would be LMPL - LDraw Model Programming Language. How about that? :) But, I think we need (...) (23 years ago, 6-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LCD - LDraw Connection Database - Proposal

(...) Well I think we were talking more about how to actually implement it. How it would actually work. When you get into trying to model these things, I don't think this is the type of thing we can store in either the .DAT file or some new (...) (23 years ago, 6-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LCD - LDraw Connection Database - Proposal

(...) Hi guys! What are you talking about? It's written in the proposal: "Finally, a user turns a battery switch on and the car wheels start rotating; and if there is a surface below the car, that can be observed as a connection and the car will (...) (23 years ago, 6-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LCD - LEGO Connection Database - Proposal

Michael Horvath wrote: > You're forgetting one important connection! The connection between the tire > and the road surface. What about that? > > -Mike > > Well, I think I was assuming that the 'model' itself would be moved by some other part of the (...) (23 years ago, 6-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: BrickDraw3D development announcement

(...) It's easy to miss OpenGL errors. Are you sure it's the glBegin causing the error, and not some previous command? Remember that successful commands don't clear the GL error state. Did you check for an error right before calling glBegin? (...) (23 years ago, 6-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LCD - LEGO Connection Database - Proposal

You're forgetting one important connection! The connection between the tire and the road surface. What about that? -Mike (...) (23 years ago, 6-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: need help w/ name (minifig legs from set #4817)

(...) Peeron calls this one "Minifig Hips and Legs Assembly with Red and Brown on Legs and Belt Pattern" ("(URL) (Steve, Chris: I'll also need a pattern number (...) Steve, Chris, I was thinking of using these: 970p4b Minifig Hips - Leather (...) (23 years ago, 5-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: BrickDraw3D development announcement

(...) Four cases that come to mind 1. as you say existing begin 2. command other than vert,color,index,nor...Co,evalPo, arrayEl,material,edg...allList(s) & Some '_EXT's if storable in begin end. Keep anything else after or before as needed. 3. Some (...) (23 years ago, 5-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  need help w/ name (minifig legs from set #4817)

I've gotten several of the minifig from set # 4817 ("(URL) I intend to encode the printed hips-and-legs for this minifig into LDraw. But, I need some help coming up with the name for the printing of this piece. In LDraw, I'll actually be encoding (...) (23 years ago, 5-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.castle, lugnet.build.minifigs)

  Re: Name this Jack Stone part

(...) That pin in the middle, appears to add significantly to avoid unintentional disconnect. The tallness of the pillar with respect to the shortness of a typical stud would cause it to be much less stable without the pin. The Jack Stone parts (...) (23 years ago, 5-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Name this Jack Stone part

(...) Hmm.... Brick 10 x 10 with Corner Extensions Brick 10 x 10 with Corner Support Extensions Brick 12 x 12 without Sides Jack Stone BaseBrick 10 x 10 Whichever dimension (10x10 or 12x12) is used in the part, the *other* dimension should be (...) (23 years ago, 5-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact