 CAD / Development / 6872
Re: A comprehensive LDraw object model
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 05:43:24 GMT

Michael Horvath wrote:

How about an LDraw DAT model reducer - something that hacks out the insides
and leaves nothing but a hollow shell?  This way you could port it to
platforms that can't handle so many polygons, and also render in realtime.
It would kind of be like carving out the insides of a pumpkin.

-Mike

Actually this brings up a different issue. I haven't put alot of thought
into it yet, but I think it would be useful to add information in the
part files that would allow a program to differentiate between geometry
that represents 'outside' walls and features, and 'inside' walls and
features.

I know the part files are (for good reason) made as complete and
realistic as possible, but when dragging, rotating, etc parts
while building a model, being able to 'turn-off' some of the
geometry might be a great way to be able to make a program more
useable and responsive for the user.

-Kyle