 CAD / Development / 7193
Re: A comprehensive LDraw object model
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 22:39:56 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, James Reynolds writes:
OK.  This is sounding very yummy.  When can we start using the frameworks.
I'm hoping within a couple of month or so (beta with a month or so), but it
really depends on how this project goes, and the schedules of anyone who
wants to contribute.

Okay, this thread is way too old and I feel that I owe an explanation for my
tardiness.  I apologize to everyone who was looking forward to a usable
prototype; I hope I didn't set expectations too high.

Lately, I've been heavily involved in helping my family members move items
from Utah to Texas, and my time in between trips is a little hectic.  I am
still interested in getting this project off the ground.  Unfortunately, my
involvement is going to have to be from the audience side for a while, due
to various Real World stuff.  I would be very excited to see it happen,
though I wouldn't be able to contribute much in the near future.  I will be
leaving the country for a few weeks starting next week, and will be pretty
busy when I get back.  But who knows...?

I *would* offer my existing source base for people to play with if it were
in any kind of publishable form; unfortunately it has lots of issues that
make me cringe when I see them (think about hard-coded values, inflexibile
directory structure, unnecessary duplicate code, seriously unoptimized
design -- you get the idea).  If you're REALLY REALLY interested and if you
REALLY REALLY want to bang on my code, please drop me a line -- we'll work
something out.

I still think the idea of a scripting framework for modifying DAT files is a
great one, and applaud anyone who contributes their efforts to any such program.

Cheers,
- jsproat