 CAD / Development / 6892
Re: A comprehensive LDraw object model
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 18:29:33 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Kyle McDonald wrote:

Actually this brings up a different issue. I haven't put alot of thought
into it yet, but I think it would be useful to add information in the
part files that would allow a program to differentiate between geometry
that represents 'outside' walls and features, and 'inside' walls and
features.

I know the part files are (for good reason) made as complete and
realistic as possible, but when dragging, rotating, etc parts
while building a model, being able to 'turn-off' some of the
geometry might be a great way to be able to make a program more
useable and responsive for the user.

A couple of different approaches to this have been discussed before.  I
think the most generic solution was to implement a 0 DETAIL <level>
meta-command, that would identify the detail-level of the following
lines.  A 0 detail level indicates that the follow lines must always be
rendered.  Higher levels indicate "less important" or "more detailed"
lines.  Renderers could use the detail-level information to control when
and how to render lines - only rendering the lines necessary, perhaps
queueing lines for rendering based on the detail level.

Steve