 CAD / Development / 6893
Re: Category for segments parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 18:44:59 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Carsten Schmitz wrote:

Past few days when i was working up parts who never have been reviewed
before in parts tracker I noticed a lot of segment parts for Lego Technic.
Basically these parts consists of a small segment or link to make a wire or
tube of it (pneumatic things etc.)

If you look at these pars in a parts viewer they look very strange, more
like primitive or subpart., but there are either or. I was thinking maybe
even have separate directory for it (like /seg) , so authoring programs
would know how to handle these parts.

Currently, the approach we take for figuring the location of part files
is this: all files a "model builder" might need to use directly belong
in /parts/.  This includes all composite parts, atomic parts, shortcuts,
and segments.  Other files go in /parts/s/, /p/, or /p/48/.

From my point of view all parts who represent cables, tubes, ropes, (maybe
even chain links) - everything whats bendable but you cant really take apart
should belong to a category like that.

For example it would be nice to have ML-Cad known that a special pat is a
segment part and when you drop it in the model window it woul ask right away
where to set start and end-point and calculate the segment between. I know
thats more a programming thing. But ML-Cad has to know somehow that it could
do that with theses parts especially.

How do you think on this?

A very simple way to handle this is to define a value for the LDRAW_ORG
line that appears in every file in the parts library.  Currently, most
files have a line that looks like:

0 LDRAW_ORG Part UPDATE 2001-03

Right now, the legal 'filetypes' are Part, Shortcut, Subpart, and
Primitive.  We could easily add Segment to the list of types.

The only catch is these 'filetypes' are currently derived from a
combination of directory and special characters in the part title.  :\

This could be changed -- the Parts Tracker could be enhanced to include
a 'file type' datum.

Steve