 CAD / Development / 6858
Re: Stud logos in fan apps
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 04:54:27 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Terry Keller writes:
The unofficial clone parts that are compatible with the LDraw system of
tools would be a different matter.  They are not representations of Lego and
should not say Lego on them.  What logo (if present) that they should have
would be dependent on what brand they are, and on the wishes of their
respective trademark owners. Who knows, the clone brands officialdom may not
look to kindly on infringement of their property.  You'd have to ask their
lawyers.

Well, it should be noted that any programs that add a LEGO logo to the tops
of studs are going to add the same logo to the studs on clone bricks unless
the clones use their own (separate) stud primitives.  There's not currently
any way (that I know of) for a program accessing an LDraw parts library to
know that a particular part is a clone part.

The people who have modeled clone bricks could easily create a duplicate
copy of the stud primitive and use that one instead of the official one, but
they would loose support for stud simplification (8-sided or line).  This is
a really useful feature in programs like MLCad.

We could alternatively come up with a new comment directive that they could
add to their parts file that would prevent lego-izing their studs, perhaps
like so:

0 CLONE

Or perhaps there already is such a directive that is in active use.  If so,
please let me know, and I will see to it that LDView doesn't put the logo on
such parts.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@REMOVE.halibut.com)