 CAD / Development / 6820
Re: Stud logos in fan apps
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 06:39:44 GMT

"Travis Cobbs" <tcobbs@san.REMOVE.rr.com> wrote in message
news:Gqzvr4.Jo9@lugnet.com...
Does anyone know what the Lego company's stance is on fan applications
putting "LEGO" on the tops of studs?

To an extent, I do.

When I was having the website logo redone right before Kidvention, I had a
discussion about this with one of LEGO's lawyers.  I had the person
rendering the logo make a brick with 'LDRAW' on the studs in the same style
text as 'LEGO' is printed on bricks.  When she saw a sample of the logo, she
requested I put 'LEGO' on the studs, or leave them blank.

Their reasoning is - if we are representing LEGO bricks, they want them
represented accurately.  So, from this information, I would say it is safe
to assume they have no problem with it.

So, the LDraw.org logo has LEGO on the studs - just take a look at our vinyl
banner where the logo is printed out HUGE at 300dpi. :-)

I have the code working to texture map a logo on top of studs in LDView. • My
current logo says "LEGO" in an italic font.  I can change this to say
something else, but I'd rather not.

Neat :-)

I will be adding a note in the About box stating that the program isn't
affiliated with the LEGO Group.  Is this sufficient?

You might want to add, 'LEGO(R) and the LEGO logo are registered trademarks
of the LEGO Group, which does not sponsor, endorse, or authorize this
program.'

HTH,

-Tim