 CAD / Development / 6831
Re: Stud logos in fan apps
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 22:22:26 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Tim Courtney writes:

When I was having the website logo redone right before Kidvention, I had a
discussion about this with one of LEGO's lawyers.  I had the person
rendering the logo make a brick with 'LDRAW' on the studs in the same style
text as 'LEGO' is printed on bricks.  When she saw a sample of the logo, she
requested I put 'LEGO' on the studs, or leave them blank.

Now that I think of it, this kind of bugs me.  If I could come up with a
low-maintenance way to put "MegaBloks" on every clone.dat brick I would
happily do so.  How can LEGO imply ownership of a virtual brick that could,
frankly, be any of a dozen clone brands?  I know, of course, that LDraw.org
has always been very (and appropriately) pro-LEGO, but if someone wants to
put LDRAW on a brick stud, and if that same someone isn't passing the brick
off as a "real" virtual LEGO brick, what's the problem?  Is it simply a
matter of respect for the brand?  If so, that's cool--I just wanted to
clarify that one brand isn't assuming ownership of the entire LCad universe,
both "canonical" and apocryphal.

No way! I think it's absolutly necessary that the word LEGO be put on each
and every one of those K'Nex pieces that were modelled a few months ago!

8?D

I think if you were modelling an element available from a clone manufacturer
only, you'd be well within this system to put their name on it. What could
LEGO do? Insist that you put their name on someone else's part? I don't
think that's what's being said here, now, do you Dave!?

It really is about respect for the brand...they're saying that if you MUST
use a name, they prefer it to be theirs, as they are the ones who put their
name on the studs...putting anyting else on there WOULD be starting to
impeed upon their trade dress...LDraw gets A LOT of other-way looking from
LEGO, so why stir up trouble? Tim was right to put the LEGO name on the
studs, IMO...

And that's Matt's 2¢