 CAD / Development / 6860
Re: Stud logos in fan apps
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 16:18:29 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Travis Cobbs writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Terry Keller writes:
The unofficial clone parts that are compatible with the LDraw system of
tools would be a different matter.  They are not representations of Lego and
should not say Lego on them.  What logo (if present) that they should have
would be dependent on what brand they are, and on the wishes of their
respective trademark owners. Who knows, the clone brands officialdom may not
look to kindly on infringement of their property.  You'd have to ask their
lawyers.

  I have no real intent of including any logo on the clone.dat bricks for a
number of reasons; nearly every brand has a 2x4 brick, so I'd need to make a
different file for each brand's 2x4 brick I wanted to model!  Better to
sidestep the whole issue, since a lot of clone brands don't even show a logo
on the bricks.

Well, it should be noted that any programs that add a LEGO logo to the tops
of studs are going to add the same logo to the studs on clone bricks unless
the clones use their own (separate) stud primitives.  There's not currently
any way (that I know of) for a program accessing an LDraw parts library to
know that a particular part is a clone part.

The people who have modeled clone bricks could easily create a duplicate
copy of the stud primitive and use that one instead of the official one, but
they would loose support for stud simplification (8-sided or line).  This is
a really useful feature in programs like MLCad.

John VanZwieten had the foresight to point this out to me when I was first
planning the clone.dat project: http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/org/ldraw/?n=589

My initial solution was to copy the stud.dat primitive to cstud.dat, but
this caused LEdit to draw each stud, hugely increasing rendering times.

Later, I happened to rename it "studc.dat," and suddenly LEdit could render
it stud-as-line!  I really only work with L3Lab, LEdit, and L3P, so I don't
know how well it works on other platforms.

Anyway, the good news is that even when rendered with L3P, the studc.dat
primitive doesn't have any logo:

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~drteeth1/clones/COMPARE1.jpg

We could alternatively come up with a new comment directive that they could
add to their parts file that would prevent lego-izing their studs
Or perhaps there already is such a directive that is in active use.  If so,
please let me know, and I will see to it that LDView doesn't put the logo on
such parts.

  Well, I wouldn't want to require anyone to implement programming to
support a project that they programmers themselves might not support!  8^)
I wonder how the studc.dat file would show up in LDView--I'll have to give
it a shot and see.

     Dave!