 CAD / 3092
Re: MLCad wishlist (was Re: Ice Cream
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 21:51:54 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Sproaticus wrote:
I like MLCAD, but it severely lacks in the part rotation department -- all
rotations entered via the GUI are absolute.  Until Mike gets that fixed, I'm
still using LEdit...  :-/
I'm not Mr. Big Rotation but I didn't see that as a big issue. Use the
fine scale grid to get the rotation about right via the rotation
buttons, then adjust by hand in the properties???

Yah, but I typically get more involved with the rotations than that.  I tend
to use angles with wildly different "step" values; e.g. rot along x by 45 deg.
, then rot along z by 36.8 deg.  Also I like to be able to move the center of
rotation to an arbitrary location.  Etc. etc. etc.  Oh heck, just take a look
at what type of models I do -- I am Mr. Big Rotation.  ;-)

[from Larry's MLCAD want list]

#1 a "flip the two selected parts" button as fiddling with the parts
ordering chews up a lot of time for me. I think my ordering speed is
improving but still...

This would be solved easily by implementing the LEdit shortcut keys ("W").

#4 would be to allow copying parts and groups of parts across submodels.
It is very hard to copy, say, a coupler assembly (getting the magnet
seated in the holder correctly takes fiddling) from one submodel to
another. I had to do it from notepad.

I try to detect these situations before I even fire up the CAD, and make
submodels of such items, even if they don't typically rotate.  e.g. in a car,
the four wheels tend to be identical but not-necessarily-rotated sub-models.

#7 would be coalescing in the list. If I select a bunch of parts not
next to each other in the list, allow me to coalesce them around the
first one. This would be a way to get ordering right a LOT faster.

This would totally rock.

#10 would be to let Modify Part do something different. When I select a
part I want to be able to bring up its properties and fiddle the
position, rotation, color. Modify Part seems to bring up a list of parts
that I dunno what to do with.

Kind of like a "properties page" for a piece or group of pieces?  This would
be way cool also.

#11 would be a "find in the parts list" so I could do a scan for all
parts that were of a certain type

Or, even just sort the list by part description...

Some of these may be in the docs. This program is so good I mostly
haven't actually READ the docs! ML r00lz d00d...

Agreed.  For all of my complaints, my biggest thought about MLCAD is how
impressive an application it is, and how well Mike knows his stuff.

Cheers,
- jsproat

It's not the same log.  It's not the same log.  It's not the same log.
  It's not the same log.  It's not the same log.  It's not the same log.
               It's the same log.  It's the same log.  It's the same log.