 CAD / MLCad / 30
Re: MLCad wishlist
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 02:10:40 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:

When I am all done with a model, I'd like to take the MPD and create a
model file from it that has every part explicitly named off in it. No
sub models, nothing. THAT is the file I want to use for a parts list.

Sounds like inlining so far.

OK, so how do I do it? when I press the inline button in LDAO with a
model selected, I get a textbox with my file in it but I don't see any
new file written, or any changes to the old file. So what am I doing
wrong.

Again, what I want to do is take an MPD and UN-mpd it. I want every .dat
file contained in that mpd to go away. I want the parts called out in
that dat file to be used inline, in the place where the subfile was
called out, translated to the correct orientation and location, and
translated to the color that they were invoked at (if they were color
16). And I want that to happen everytime any dat file was used. How do I
do that? So what I end up with is a dat file that has NO invocations of
other dat files in it unless those dat files were not already in the mpd
I started with.

Doesn't have to be from within MLCad, it can be from any tool, I am not
picky.

The way that MLCad currently does parts lists is not what I want. The
submodels get their own separate lists. So if I can generate a new model
that has all the parts in the main model, that would be good. Is that
what inlining does? I didn't think that was what I was getting.

Yep.  Inlining=macro expansion (to the limits of my understanding of macro
expansion).

I need the parts list so I can actually make up piles of parts and have
some reasonable confidence that when I mail someone that pile of parts
and the instructions, they can build what I thought they could build
with no missing (and no extra, my profit margin needs to be protected!!)
parts.

Ah!  I haven't poked around much in the reports area.  After all, "they're just
reports."[1]  I'll have to look at that.