 CAD / 3088
3087  |  3089
Subject:
MLCad wishlist (was Re: Ice Cream
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 19:21:01 GMT

Sproaticus wrote:

I like MLCAD, but it severely lacks in the part rotation department -- all
rotations entered via the GUI are absolute.  Until Mike gets that fixed, I'm
still using LEdit...  :-/

I'm not Mr. Big Rotation but I didn't see that as a big issue. Use the
fine scale grid to get the rotation about right via the rotation
buttons, then adjust by hand in the properties???

If I were naming off things to fix in MLCad my number one wish would be
for

#1 a "flip the two selected parts" button as fiddling with the parts
ordering chews up a lot of time for me. I think my ordering speed is
improving but still...

#2 would be a "snap to grid in This Direction Only" as sometimes when I
am fiddling I move something a bit in the wrong axis. Either that or a
"linear constraint" so I can only fiddle in one dimension instead of
both the dimensions that the view provides.

#3 would be to specify other oblique views so I can look at the model
from other angles.

#4 would be to allow copying parts and groups of parts across submodels.
It is very hard to copy, say, a coupler assembly (getting the magnet
seated in the holder correctly takes fiddling) from one submodel to
another. I had to do it from notepad.

#5 would be to allow semipermanent groups so an inadvertant pick when
moving a group of parts doesn't force you to start grouping again.

#6 would be order preservation in rotation. If I have a bunch of parts,
I copy them all at once, then use rotate, the order of the parts seems
to get jumbled. (one bulkhead is a copy of the other, but not a subpart,
just a copy of the selected group...)

#7 would be coalescing in the list. If I select a bunch of parts not
next to each other in the list, allow me to coalesce them around the
first one. This would be a way to get ordering right a LOT faster.

#8 would be leaving me positioned in the parts list next to where I
deleted from instead of at the very top. Deleting a part is very
annoying, you have to find your spot in the list again. (I tend to work
on stuff, push it down to the bottom, then do other stuff in front of
it...)

#9 would be a "repeat this part" command so I could lay down a part and
they say "give me 8 copies offset 3 studs each in the Y direction"

#10 would be to let Modify Part do something different. When I select a
part I want to be able to bring up its properties and fiddle the
position, rotation, color. Modify Part seems to bring up a list of parts
that I dunno what to do with.

#11 would be a "find in the parts list" so I could do a scan for all
parts that were of a certain type

Also, a question, what is the story on part organization? The categories
seem different than what VEC uses. If I install new parts how do they go
where they need to go? Is it just driven by the first name of the part?

Some of these may be in the docs. This program is so good I mostly
haven't actually READ the docs! ML r00lz d00d...