 CAD / MLCad / 10
Re: MLCad wishlist (was Re: Ice Cream
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 09:23:55 GMT

"MP" == Mike Poindexter <lego@poindexter.cc> writes:
<snippage>
MP> Does anybody else have anything else that should be in MLCAD?

Well, I seem to have some problems with saving instruction
pictures. It just crashes on me sometime after saving the first
picture.

Also, instruction steps are sorted (for example, in the number of
pieces per step report) alphabetically, which means that step 10 comes
before step 2. (Call that a pet peeve.)

A zoom to rectangle feature would be nice. Sometimes I know exactly
which area of a view I want to zoom to, but I have to click zoom in a
number of times, then move around. An option which would let me mark a
rectangle in a view and then zoom to that rectangle would be nice.

When marking a group, any click within the bounding box of the group
just selects the box. This is annoying when you try to select four
bricks that are placed in a square, like so:

1122
1122
3344
3344

You'll never be able to select all four of them without resorting to
the list view.

Of course, faster drawing would always be nice. :) Perhaps automatic
substitution of simpler primitives? I've heard that ledit (?) can draw
small straight lines instead of studs; it would be nice if you could
toggle this kind of stuff on and off. A high detail mode (like it is
now) and a low detail mode (by substituting a simpler set of
primitives).

Is it perhaps possible to do special optimizations for the common case
of moving a part around in a view? You certainly don't have to update
the whole view; only the bounding box of the rectangle covered by the
part before and the rectangle covered by the part in its new
position. With some z-buffering tricks it should be possible to do
this extremely rapidly.

Regards,

Johannes.
--
We are Micro$oft of Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Visually inspecting visual programming languages.