 CAD / MLCad / 12
Re: MLCad wishlist
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 21:57:04 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:

Right. but for doing instructions and inventories, I want to be able to
"unsubmodel" stuff, and I haven't yet figured out how to do it. Inlining
(which LDAO can do for you) isn't quite what I want. I want macro
expansion, so to speak, rather than just inlining... Basically take a
model with submodels and turn the whole thing into one big file. No
submodels, repeated parts, etc... the whole 9 yards.

I'm not seeing the difference between inlining and macro expansion...

Also, how can you simultaneously avoid submodels *and* repeated parts?  The
solution to having submodels is to repeat parts, and the solution to avoid
repeated parts is to use submodels?  So I must be missing something...

maybe I'm confusing myself. at different times I have different needs.
During model design it is handy to have many subfiles as you can segment
your work.

When I am all done with a model, I'd like to take the MPD and create a
model file from it that has every part explicitly named off in it. No
sub models, nothing. THAT is the file I want to use for a parts list.

The way that MLCad currently does parts lists is not what I want. The
submodels get their own separate lists. So if I can generate a new model
that has all the parts in the main model, that would be good. Is that
what inlining does? I didn't think that was what I was getting.

I need the parts list so I can actually make up piles of parts and have
some reasonable confidence that when I mail someone that pile of parts
and the instructions, they can build what I thought they could build
with no missing (and no extra, my profit margin needs to be protected!!)
parts.

Can we talk Michael into hanging out here???