 Administrative / Suggestions / 600
  A Change

.A Change ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ (Not so much a` BIG change, but a `SMALL improvement!) !An open letter to the Lugnet community and it’s creators: I'm proposing that a change take place in our lovely Lugnet community. Not a radical revolution, but simply just a (...) (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators, lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.announce)

  Re: A Change

Wow - that was the hardest post to read in a text terminal. SO MANY MS-specific characters, it's like half the post was '?' signs! for instance: (...) wow. Dan (posted via email auth. big deal, imo) (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: A Change

(...) I don't think this is the way... I'd much prefer seeing something such as authenticated NNTP, although I'm not sure if/how to set something like that up. (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A Change

Time for me to play devil's advocate... (...) At the risk of sounding elitist, I point out that the "citizens" of Lugnet are arguably the paying members. As a member who posts exclusively via the web interface, I have no knowledge of the difficult (...) (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: A Change

(...) My slight problem with the web interface is that I cannot use any of my signature/taglines without copy and pasting from an external source. I poat a suggestion to this fact about a week ago but have been ignored. I think this would be a good (...) (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: A Change

(...) Hi, I'm using the ISO-8859-1 (Latin 1) superset; and I bet that every newsreader written or updated in the last five years can handle that too. But usually only Windows machines can handle the additional characters in Codepage 1252. I don’t do (...) (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.general)

  Re: A Change

(...) I ToTaLlY agree! :) T'would be a good-incentive to join as well! (...) Don't worry, sometimes it takes a while to get heard! Thanx, --==Richard==-- (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: A Change

(...) Other shortcomings of the web interface: - doesn't keep track of read/unread posts very well - doesn't allow marking a post as unread (I do this all the time when I want to return later to the post to respond) - doesn't support built in spell (...) (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: A Change

Now a couple features I would love to see: - a page for members where they can see all their unauthenticated posts - being able to edit the post in the authentication screen (I could have used that ability to add this information to my previous post (...) (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: A Change

"Hendo (John P. Henderson)" <hendo@valyance.com> wrote in message news:HEL3JA.14I0@lugnet.com... (...) the (...) I am a member and still have to verify my post. It is not dificult to do that, so i dont think it is a big problem. But It would be (...) (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: A Change

(...) The ruling elite eh! The oppression by the bourgeois will be over come by the new-unity & cooperation of the proletarian under-class! But seriously, a good majority of the readership on Lugnet are those who DON'T post and thus _their voices_ (...) (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: A Change

(...) Yessssssss, an edit function would be so very useful! --==Richard==-- (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: A Change

(...) I also like the fact that the parent group lists all the messages to it's child groups. My newsgroup program doesn't do that. -Orion (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: A Change

(...) How should anything know that your message is using this "codepage 1252"? The message headers specify that you're using the standard iso-8859-1 charset -- but you're not. You've got a bunch of characters using mappings that are reserved for (...) (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: A Change

(...) I've always kind of thought this was a bit harsh as well-- My own preference would be either more automated and/or voluntary. Effectively, a voluntary system would entail the default to be 'on', and if you want to turn off authentication, (...) (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: A Change

(...) Such a system is in place. It's commonly referred to as the web interface. (...) Yet another reason to use the web interface. (...) What turned me off from newsreaders was the inability to track threads that cross from one newsgroup to (...) (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: A Change

(...) Even members get the verification when using a newsreader The web interface has several drawbacks : - It's harder to search for things compared to a regular news reader (I store all messages I retrieve local for reference) - I need to be (...) (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: A Change

(...) I won't lie, if the email verification system was removed I would likely post more, well, more respond to more threads anyway. but I can completely understand why this system is in place. if there is a way of provide similar protection by (...) (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: A Change

(...) huh, funny how that works. I'm running mutt that was compiled on April 20th, 2003. So yes, I'm sure it _can_ handle all the current standards. (...) you mean only windows machines ignore the standards, and show characters that don't really (...) (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: A Change

(...) Well I'd say that depends a lot on what you're used to - I rarely have trouble searching for posts using the browser interface. (...) Agreed. (...) 1. Every message displays the entire thread tree at the bottom, until it gets too large, at (...) (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: A Change

(...) in 2001 and simply didn't have internet access. I've been on and off for about a year myself. I've been unable to login for so long now, that I've forgotten if things actually were better. (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: A Change

(...) That's probably not true. It just takes a while to get *responded to*. (21 years ago, 9-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: A Change

(...) Nope, it didn't get ignored! I saw your poat, and I've been pondering it. (...) I agree...good suggestion. We've been promising to someday have a drop-down list box for on-the-fly selection of alternate e-mail addresses for a couple years now, (...) (21 years ago, 9-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: A Change

(...) Mmm, nice idea. (...) Mmm, essentially pre-authentication tokening...hjmmmm. --Todd (21 years ago, 9-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: A Change

(...) You jus' totally reiterated my statement because...? I said: "it takes a while to get heard!" U said: "takes a while to get *responded to*." O.k. kinda weird... Jus' playin' ;) --==Richard==-- (21 years ago, 9-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: A Change

(...) Ya, you can do that :) -- it's been that way since the beginning of the authentication stuff in 2001. (...) Mmm, yes. I didn't have a good way to do this. If news-posting accounts were more account-based, it would be pretty straightforward to (...) (21 years ago, 9-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A Change

(...) It looks like “a Change” for the better will take place. So, either I've got good timing in my post… Or (more likely) I subconsciously recalled Todd's past statement saying that there will be some improved measures enacted in the future. (...) (21 years ago, 9-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: A Change

(...) No promises yet about the sig. I've got a lotta of stuff on my plate right now. Kinda feels like I'm coming out of a dark ages and playing catch-up. (...) Well, we'll see. I've been doing behind the scenes chores slowly but surely since I went (...) (21 years ago, 9-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general)

  Re: A Change

(...) You forget those who still use dial-up to read/write to Lugnet. They prefer to use the news reader so they can dial-up, download all new news, disconnect, read and answer, dial-up, send new items. And I think it's something more people should (...) (21 years ago, 9-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: A Change

(...) + a page where you can find all posts that are answers to your posts. I tend to write a lot in a lot of groups and sometimes loose track of where I went and might thus miss the answer to my questions... Best regards, /Tobbe (URL) SPAM when (...) (21 years ago, 9-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: A Change

(...) Problem one for me... using 3 machines at the moment, LDAP unfortunately still not working :( (...) Right now it does, but with NNTP authentication that could go back to one small ASCII batch... the overhead of a webboard vs an NNTP system is (...) (21 years ago, 9-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: A Change

(...) Huh-- I had actually thought that posting setup was that way by design. I recall way back when Auczilla was around, someone saying that it was specifically designed to be tricky to sign up for. Hence, only people who were "truly serious" about (...) (21 years ago, 9-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A Change

Hendo (John P. Henderson) wrote in message ... (...) Yes, email verification is required for members too, when not using the web interface. For me, the Web interface is a health issue. With RSI in both hands and arms, a newsreader is orders of (...) (21 years ago, 9-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: A Change

(...) Even if that had been the intent, it would always hold the possibility of backfiring. I've been a read-only lurker for almost two years now, and every once in a while I'd e-mail someone a response to their LUGNET post if I felt it was (...) (21 years ago, 9-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A Change

(...) The certain individual has vanished from LUGNET because of the improved security. He was still bad-mouthing LUGNET over on RTL as of this post: (URL) Mall is back: (URL) TOWN PLANNING information: (URL) Lego parts store: (URL) Guild of (...) (21 years ago, 9-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: A Change

(...) Nope! Nothing could be further from the truth, actually. To get on the AucZILLA list, all you had to do was submit a bid -- or reply to any public auction announcement posting. If someone forgot to include their name, I wrote them and asked. I (...) (21 years ago, 9-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A Change

(...) And of course that's precisely why I'm leery of the system. I can see the logic behind it, but it runs the risk of excluding people who misinterpret the system. It's been a long-standing problem where people have been confused about how to (...) (21 years ago, 9-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A Change

(...) Rest easy, David, we're going to be fixing this once and for all soon. :-) (...) AucZILLA had proxy bidding too. And the e-mail list wasn't a single-auction-at-a-time deal; you stayed on the list, with all your settings preserved from auction (...) (21 years ago, 9-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A Change

Sorry about that link. Here's a shorter one: (URL) Mall is back: (URL) TOWN PLANNING information: (URL) Lego parts store: (URL) Guild of Bricksmiths(TM): (URL) Lego Web page: (URL) (21 years ago, 9-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: A Change

(...) But one problem with the dots display compared to how newsreaders handle trees is that it doesn't list the subject and author. (...) The trouble is the web browser eventually forgets that you visited a website, also, you can't mark the post (...) (21 years ago, 9-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: A Change

(...) Thanx for the link Kevin. Here's a portion of the conversation: ---...--- (...) ---...--- (21 years ago, 9-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: A Change

(...) Well, again not as good as listing in newsreader, but hovering your mouse over the dots will display the subject and poster name. No the web interface isn't as good in some areas as the newsreader, but it's definitely usable once you get used (...) (21 years ago, 9-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: A Change

(...) I certainly did. I can't recall how many people told me what I understood as "you don't have to pay for membership", but the member sign-up page clearly stated that there was a $10 minimum. (...) It sounds like that specific concern is at the (...) (21 years ago, 9-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A Change

(...) Ya, there seems to be a growing misunderstanding of what the word "member" and "membership" means on LUGNET. Back in '97 and '98, very few sites had "members" or "accounts" or even any kind of personal configuration. And a lot of people coming (...) (21 years ago, 10-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A Change

"Dave Johann" <legomecha@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:HEL9DL.1u1G@lugnet.com... (...) that (...) last (...) And what still turns me off from using the web interface is the inability to track which messages I have read already in a reliable (...) (21 years ago, 10-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: A Change

(...) Troy, I could be wrong but my understanding of the way NNTP authentication & authorization works is that it's session-based rather than message-based or function-based. That is, I think when you require a username and password at login, when (...) (21 years ago, 10-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: A Change

(...) Well, do you think "to be heard" is the same as "to get a response"? 'Cause it's not. There's often a lot of perfectly good reasons for there to be a lag between the two. The "*" for emphasis was meant to highlight the distinction between the (...) (21 years ago, 11-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: A Change

(...) Ah, but you have to understand that most forums (and whether you think of LUGNET as a forum or not, most newcomers are introduced to it via the web archive, which reads like a more traditional form) require that you sign up as a member prior (...) (21 years ago, 11-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A Change

(...) <Playful-Sarcasm On> Ohhhhhhh, I see... What a big difference! ;) <Playful-Sarcasm Off> Sorry I didn’t know such clarity was needed! (Oups, didn’t completely turn Off the sarcasm) I jus’ assumed that someone would need to hear/read the post (...) (21 years ago, 11-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: A Change

If you are a paid member, you can post all you like using the web interface without email authentication. Only NNTP/email users require the email authentication if they are paid members. --Bill. (21 years ago, 12-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: A Change

(...) Please note that it is impossible for us to know whether you have seen a post and are pondering it, or whether you missed it. A short acknowledgement of receipt for suggestions made would be a big help in this situation... --Bill. (21 years ago, 12-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Todd is back [ was: Re: A Change ]

(...) Feels that way to us too. I for one am glad. --Bill. (21 years ago, 12-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general)

  Re: A Change

(...) Awwww, but it'd be extreamly difficult for Todd to acknowledge every post sent in his direction! I understand exactly what you're asking Bill, but to hope/expect that Todd will comply and answer is a bit much to ask IMHO! :) --==Richard==-- (21 years ago, 12-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators)