 Administrative / NNTP / 1220
Re: A Change
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2003 16:23:54 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, David Laswell writes:
In lugnet.admin.suggestions, David Eaton writes:
Huh-- I had actually thought that posting setup was that way by design. I
recall way back when Auczilla was around, someone saying that it was
specifically designed to be tricky to sign up for. Hence, only people who
were "truly serious" about it would have the perseverance to actually get on
the Auczilla list.

Nope!  Nothing could be further from the truth, actually.  To get on the
AucZILLA list, all you had to do was submit a bid -- or reply to any public
auction announcement posting.  If someone forgot to include their name, I
wrote them and asked.  I very much wanted as many people as possible on the
list and went to pains to make it easy.

Now, there -were- a lot of instructions to read which may have scared some
people away.  But it was never designed to discourage people from signing
up, although a curious side-benefit is that it tended to weed out
less-serious folks.

And I was under the impression that Lugnet was the same
way-- it's not immediately obvious how to sign up, meaning that only "real
fans" will sign up and post.

Nope, again, not the intention.  Yes, we -do- want to weed out people who
aren't interested in being honest about their real name, but the intention
isn't to attract only certain types of fans.

Even if that had been the intent, it would always hold the possibility
of backfiring.  I've been a read-only lurker for almost two years now, and
every once in a while I'd e-mail someone a response to their LUGNET post if
I felt it was important enough.  I didn't sign up for membership, however,
because one of my two main LEGO interests is Bionicle, and I was not at all
okay with the idea of paying even $10 to sign up on a list where I'd
probably be instantly villified for running a major Bionicle news site.  If
I'd known it was possible to sign up for posting privs without having to pay
for a membership, I would have done so a long time ago.  In fact, the idea
that you can post without being an official "member", or being listed as a
"guest" is a bit counterintuitive.

Ya, the current system evolved wrongly.  We plan to fix that soon.
[...] but doing it with an online LEGO fan community has the
negative side effect of making it seem like it's a group of elitist snobs,
and that can only hurt the overall LEGO fan community by putting them at
odds with each other instead of encouraging them to cooperate.

Ya we don't want that.

--Todd