 Administrative / NNTP / 1211
Re: A Change
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2003 04:09:05 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, David Eaton writes:
[...] Would be nice (especially for those who use Lugnet by email) to simply
hit 'reply' to the email auth. notice and authenticate that way.

Ya, you can do that :) -- it's been that way since the beginning of the
authentication stuff in 2001.

Also (again I dunno if it's implemented) might be nice to have an
"authenticate all" button...

Mmm, yes.  I didn't have a good way to do this.  If news-posting accounts
were more account-based, it would be pretty straightforward to maintain a
list of pending requests on a per-person basis.  (This is how I always
imagined implementing pending notifications in auction bidding too.)  If
there wasn't an authenticate-all button, at least you should be able to
click through a list of pending articles one-by-one easily.

Also, for those non-members using the web interface, if they had a password
associated with their account, they could similarly not have to suddenly
switch over to email in order to authenticate a post. They could be
authenticated very similarly to how members are.

Totally, totally agree.

Although granted not having to worry about authentication *is* a nice perk
to being a member, encouraging more memberships :)

Yeah, but that's just sick, mean, and cruel -- and abashedly poor interface
design (kicks self).  It was never the plan to make web posting difficult for
anyone -- it just sort of evolved in the wrong direction.  Fixing is needed
indeed!

--Todd