 Administrative / General / 8959
Re: Flogs, flogging, floggers, brags, bragging, braggers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 17:08:20 GMT

I thought you weren't going to debate this?

In lugnet.admin.general, Eric Joslin writes:

What I WILL dispute is that any of these are flogs. Unless you define a flog
as the mere mention of something commercial, that is, which is a definition
I dispute. Strongly.

Unfortunately, you aren't the one who gets to define "flog" here.

Granted, but I do get to question the definition and point out where I think
it's awry. Which is what I'm doing.

Todd is, and
he weighed in and agreed that it seemed to be a flog.

And Todd never changes his mind? Seemed to be != is, necessarily.

So, accept that the post
in question was considered to be a flog,

So stipulated that it was identified as such but not that it actually is.

and probably shouldn't have been made
in the form and group it was made in.

Doesn't yet follow.

Besides, let's take apart what you posted, shall we?

From:  http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=10097

In lugnet.trains, Steven  Barile writes:

Thanks, and now can we discuss something else like... who built a killer
train out of all these bulk packs we've been begging for for the last 3
years!

Well, since you asked. Twice, no less...

I did. (1) Here you go:

http://www.miltontrainworks.com/item_info.html#MTW-3002-bu

How do I know it's killer? I'm almost out of my first production run
already... But then what else would you expect from Milton Train Works,
*the* premier custom train kit purveyor?? Other people may have released
models before I did (2), other people may have released models that cost
less(3), but no one has a better or broader train product range. Not even
LEGO(r). At least not yet anyway.

Can you explain how the following bits:

But then what else would you expect from Milton Train Works,
*the* premier custom train kit purveyor??

One definition of a killer model is that it comes from a killer source. This
brag is defending in advance the possible assertion that the source isn't
killer.

and

Other people may have released
models before I did (2), other people may have released models that cost
less(3), but no one has a better or broader train product range. Not even
LEGO(r). At least not yet anyway.

Ditto. Further, this is an attempt to support the assertion that the TLC
model range isn't that great at this point and the custom builders as a
group, and me specifically, are hitting the target market better than TLC
does. And that  supports the assertion that the doodlebug is a killer model
worthy of, dare I say it, adulation.

are an answer, in any way, to a question about "killer models" rather than a
flog for your items for sale?

See above.

Are we going to ban any mention of things commercial, no matter how passing,
no matter the context, in any group that doesn't have market somewhere in
its name? That would be wrong.

Why?  If I had something for sale, I would respect the hierarchy of discussion
and simply refrain from posting it where people who possibly had no interest >in
seeing it wouldn't.  Posting a major flog in a non-market group is no less
annoying than a cold sales call.

I would agree with that. For straight flogs, anyway. But as I said, every
single one of my postings that happened to mention, in passing, models that
I happen to have for sale... every single one wasn't a flog, much less a
straight flog.

As I said in a part you snipped, I consider this point the most important
one in this debate. Mentioning something is NOT flogging it, in and of
itself. Banning the mere mention of things restricts discussion unnecesarily
and can cost the community significant advancement.

- I don't deliberately push the rules envelope, I just have stuff I want to
share, I am terribly busy and don't have as much time to do elaborate sites
as I might like, so I share it as soon as I can.

Wasn't this "I don't have enough time" defense thouroughly shot down the last
time someone complained about your flogging habits?

No. Because I don't flog, so you need to say "alleged flogging habits", and
because it wasn't shot down.

Hope that helps. If this is getting you worked up, you may want to just
ignore it till it comes to some resolution.

++Lar