 Administrative / General / 8971
Re: Flogs, flogging, floggers, brags, bragging, braggers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 16:23:08 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Eric Joslin writes:
<snip>

I said what I had to say about this. I did not intend this to be a flog. It
may be perceived by some as that, but it was intended as boasting, nothing more.

I tried to explain in more detail why it was boasting, but that seems
pointless since you're just digging in. Either you believe my intent or you
don't, and if any of you don't believe my statement about my intent, you're
questioning my integrity. At this point, that's fine by me either way.

What I'd rather talk about is: "what exactly is a flog?"... "I know it when
I see it" doesn't cut it for me as it doesn't give guidance.

I'll state again, if you all want a clear cut rule, make one. I would hate
to see any mention of commercial activities be banned, but if it comes out
that way, I will abide. Note that I don't count statements of preference as
rules, unless they are stated in such a way as to be unambiguous that it's
not just another fan talking.

PS, Scott... bragging is not usually considered a positive character trait
in the US either, and calling someone a braggart is a mild insult, and cause
for complaint. Unless it's true, as it is in this case. I am a braggart (and
proud of it, I guess).

PPS, "Line Toeing" means a way different thing in common usage than what
Todd is using it for, it means a very careful and rigorous obedience with a
particular care to never even accidentally give the appearance of any
deviation. The term you're trying to tar me with, falsely, is probably
closer to "skirting the rules", but if you want to persist in mislabeling it
"Toeing the line", please do.

Hope that helps.

++Lar