 Administrative / General / 8972
Re: Flogs, flogging, floggers, brags, bragging, braggers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 16:06:40 GMT

I watched this with some amusement, and some amazement.

First, Larry is a stand up person, whom I have met, and
whose creations are worth bragging about, having seen them
up close. He does brag, it is part of him, but at the same
time, I think he does outstanding work. The Doodlebug is
awesome. Is bragging offensive to some people? Yes. Does it
not belong on LUGNET? Not according to what Todd said.

Second, whether it is a flog or not, I guess the best way to
look at it is to see the intent. I read Larry's response,
and looked at the posts that were mentioned before, and I
think he was making points about creations, not as an
outright attempt to sell them. He also tried to talk about
commerical aspects, and suggested to go to market if it is
inappopriate. I don't see a problem there. I think there are
some underlying feelings between Larry and others that are
surfacing, rather than honest debate about flogging and the
like.

Larry is a significant contributor to LUGNET as far as I am
concerned, and he may bend a rule every now and then (Since
the rules seem so...... vague sometimes, that's another
discussion), but in all, I think this is draggin on too far
for some questionable items that are not clearly defined.
larry explained his side, we have heard others about how
they feel. Todd voiced his opinions as well, but it still
seems a little unresolved.

Maybe we need to back off a little and see if we can either
define the rules more, or say, this is a little iffy, you
may want to watch it, rather than dragging it down to the
mud level. That's all.

Scott S.