 Administrative / General / 5199
Re: Article scoring
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 05:31:25 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Steve Bliss writes:
Hmm.  Thinking back to the desired slider interface, you could put a
good number of radio buttons horizontally across a page.  The voter
could click in the desired range.  Something like:

Very Bad     Neutral    Very Good
O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O

It wouldn't slide (ie, you couldn't hold down the mouse button, and drag
between buttons), but it would be visually close.

That would rock!!

OK, looks like this is going to work great!  On the screen, it's looking
much cleaner than what I had before with the drop-down list.

A not-too-big-yet-not-to-small number of radio buttons with a neat numeric
spread is 6, which yields the linear progression of values 0 -> 20 -> 40 ->
60 -> 80 -> 100.  Implicitly, there's a 50 hidden in there by means of
abstaining from the vote on that article.

Another neat possibility is 9, which yields the linear progression of values
0 -> 12.5 -> 25 -> 37.5 -> 50 -> 62.5 -> 75 -> 83.5 -> 100.  (That might be
too many.)

The number 7 yields the linear progression 0 -> 16.667 -> 33.333 -> 50 ->
66.667 -> 83.333 -> 100.

I'm not sure there's much difference between 6 and 7.

But I think Dan is right - avoid numbers altogether.  And avoiding
numbers also means that voters would have less trouble accepting the
score they see after they cast their vote.  Since the entire
votes->score transformation becomes a magic black box, they don't have
to worry about why casting +100 as the first vote turns into a score of
only 50.  Provide the details (somewhere) for anyone who wants to read
it, but don't put it on the voting page.

Good advice -- it seems to feel a lot less confusing now (ironic, seeing as
there's less visible information).  Also, to underscore the subjectivity, I
changed some wording.  The button to cast the vote(s) say "Submit Vote(s)"
before, but now says "Submit Opinion(s)".

Not sure yet about the label showing the number of votes.  It used to say
"Votes:", but now says "Opinions:".  But whereas "Votes:" was technically
correct, "Opinions:" isn't quite correct...there might be ten hundred
opinions about an article but only seven sent in.  Welp, I'll leave it as
"Opinions:" for now.

--Todd