 Administrative / General / 5175
Re: Article scoring
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 22:06:32 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Shiri Dori writes:
[-100,+100]
  Advantages:
     * Nice big integer domain with 201 possible values
     * Midpoint is 0 (very cool)
     * Good intuitive quick grokkage for integer math geeks
  Disadvantages:
     * -10 and -20 sound more demoralizing than 45 and 40
     * Hyphen character for minus is hard to discern, especially when plus
       is also used

Meaning...?

A typographically correct minus sign is 1 en wide, which is typically about
twice the width of a hyphen in most typefaces.  HTML has the – entity
which is 1 en wide, and the — entity which is 1 em wide, but AFAIK these
aren't supported on all browsers, because they refer to specific positions in
fonts rather than being named entities such as © or ® or ½.

Thus, a hypen, when used as a minus sign, is much harder to see than a real
minus sign.  The use of a plus sign for positive numbers (as opposed to not
showing any prefix on positive numbers) makes it especially difficult for the
eye to discern the minus sign when a hyphen is used.

HTH.  :)

--Todd