 Administrative / General / 5100
Re: Article scoring
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 04:03:52 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

OK, a couple of more thoughts on the [-100,+100] vs. [0,100] choice...

I'm finding it increasingly difficult to defend the position of [-100,+100]
due to a number of reasons.  One which I don't think came up yet is how a
new or casual user might feel if his/her message were marked down slightly. • <snip>
Though -10 and 45 are equivalent, and -20 and 40 are equivalent, I think
perceptually -- psychologically -- it "feels" a lot worse to have your post
marked down from 0 to -10 or -20 than from 50 to 45 or 40.  (Does that make
any sense?)

Yes, it makes a lot of sense, and I agree.

If this is true (and I think it is), then this would be a MAJOR shortcoming
and unintentional side-effect of using the [-100,+100] view.  We need that
articles can be marked up or down from a neutral position, but not in such a
"painfully obvious" way -- because, after all, the ultimate goal of the
ranking is just to help filter out things at different user-selectable
thresholds -- it's not to penalize or demoralize anyone.

Right.

So -- a list of advantages & disadvantages:

[-100,+100]
  Advantages:
     * Nice big integer domain with 201 possible values
     * Midpoint is 0 (very cool)
     * Good intuitive quick grokkage for integer math geeks
  Disadvantages:
     * -10 and -20 sound more demoralizing than 45 and 40
     * Hyphen character for minus is hard to discern, especially when plus
       is also used

Meaning...?

     * Probably overly complex for non-geeks

I wouldn't be too sure it's so complex... then again, I'm a math geek so I
wouldn't know ;-)

[0,100]
  Advantages:
     * Nice big integer domain with 101 possible values
     * Midpoint is an integer
     * 45 and 40 don't sound as demoralizing as -10 and -20
     * Simple and familiar range -- looks like percentages

The last two are, IMO, HUGE advantadges for the [0,100] system. Percentages
are pretty damn intuitive in most cases, and it's easy to relate to them.

  Disadvantages:
     * Below average isn't so easy to spot
     * Midpoint is 50 (not so bad, really)
     * 0 may be confused with neutral when it actually means highly negative

(Other points?)

Yep, one other point. I'm not sure if it's an advantadge or a disadvantadge...
But:

In the [1,100] system, a post without votes would be rated as... [50]
If I'm the first voter, vote for 100... the system (supposedly) adds vote,
making the post... [75]?

Just making note, I dunno if this is good or bad, just sorta weird.

Most of these points are really "six of one, half dozen of the other" -- but
the thing about -10 == 45 and -20 == 40 really tips the scales in favor of
[0,100], IMHO...  It's one thing to score LEGO sets or movies or record
albums on a [-100,+100] scale, but to score what people write about a hobby
that way -- that's just asking for hurt feelings.  Yah?

Yah! I agree!

-Shiri