 Administrative / General / 4992
Re: Article scoring
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 19:19:29 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.admin.general, Steve Bliss writes:
And it [makes] at least as much sense to have an implicit 'indifferent' vote •                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
from the system as it does to have a special rule for the case of zero
votes.

Steve, I'm glad you mentioned that -- because from a "makes sense" point of

(hey, anything to help out)

[snipped all the stuff I agree with]

OK, now for the *actual* user interface.  A slider which glides between -100
and +100 would be perfect, but that's not part of HTML forms, so it has to
be a drop-down list box with a few choices.  (A fill-in-the-box might kinda
work, but that's prolly too much work for the user.)

How about radio buttons instead of a drop-down list?  Seems more
approachable for the non-geeks among us.

I'm weary of 33's and 66's because they don't seem "round" enough, so what
I've got now in the test thingie is the 6 values of +100, +75, +50, +25, -25,
-50, -75, and -100.  (0 is also a list item, but it means "I don't care" or
"erase my earlier vote" and displays as three dashes).

You could let people choose a score from 1 to 10.  This is very
intuitive, at least for us Michiganders--I can't speak for the rest of
the world.

I don't know how to avoid judgment words like "good" and "bad" and still
have the labels "make quick sense."  Any suggestions?

Having a '1 to 10' UI would let you avoid the labels.

Steve