 Administrative / General / 5016
Re: Article scoring
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 05:32:08 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Dan Boger writes:
IIRC, from my days of dabbling with java, you could make a radiobox, and
make the lable to it a link with no HREF, just with a ONCLICK java script
thing, that will select the appropriate radio button.  Will that work?

I think it could all be done in JavaScript, ya.  I wouldn't want to _require_
JavaScript for something like article scoring, but the nice thing about it in
this case is that adding it wouldn't hurt; it would degrade gracefully to
normal plain HTML form functionality.

The thing is, if you're not giving the users the option to vote any value,

Maybe having both an edit box and radio buttons is the way to go...i.e., let
the user decide at vote-time whether to type a fine-grained number into the
edit box or quick-pick from predefined values in a set of radio buttons.

but make them choose from a limited number of options, why not hide the
numbers completely?  The options to the users are "bad, neutral, good" (for
example) and the back end sees them as [-100, 0, +100].  Why do the users
need to see the numbers at all?

I don't think it would -hurt- to hide the numbers altogether and only use
text, but I think it would losing out on a couple of opportunities...  (1)
having the numbers there next to the names helps in quick-scanning the list
for the right choice -- for an experienced scorer, and (2) seeing the numbers
associated with text labels each time a vote is cast helps mentally reinforce
the association, making scoring quicker next time, and (3) the numbers are
probably also nice for people who speak English as a second language, or who
don't speak English at all[1], and (4) having used the scoring so far, it's
nice to be able to compare the numeric value of the vote one casts with the
numeric value in the final composite score.

--Todd

[1] Of course, ultimately, the nicest thing (assuming text labels) would be
to display the labels in the user's preferred language, but I don't have a
good way for that yet.