 Administrative / General / 4833
Re: Article scoring
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 03:40:15 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Shiri Dori writes:
Great! I like this and agree to the reasoning, 'specially the sqrt part of
more people voting influencing more.

Oh -- while I was out grocery shopping I just realized this:

What is sqrt(n)?  It's nothing more than a fancy way of writing n^(1/2).

So:  What if the exponent didn't have to be exactly 1/2, but instead was
allowed to vary?  Then what dynamics arise?  Well, first some definitions.

Let n be the number of votes; let V[1], V[2], V[3], ..., V[n] be a set of
votes; and let s be the sum from i=1 to n of V[i].

Now define a scoring function W(s,n,a) = s / n^a, where a is a non-negative
real number.  Now here's the cool part:  What happens with different values
of a?

If a = 0, then we have W = s / n^0 = s / 1 = s, or in other words a simple
pure summation.  This produces arbitrarily large scores (positive or negative).

If a = 1/2, then we have the sqrt(n) function described earlier.  This also
produces arbitrarily large scores, but this time they're dampened by the
sqrt(n).

If a = 1, then we have W = s / n^1 = s / n, or in other words a simple classic
average.  This produces scores always within the unit interval [-1,+1].

And if we set a to be a number between 0 and 1/2, what we get is something
between a pure summation and a sqrt(n) dampener -- less dampening, in other
words.

And if set a to be a number between 1/2 and 1, what we get is something
between a sqrt(n) dampener and a classic average -- much more dampening, in
other words.

Still other interesting things happen with a < 0 and a > 1.  With a > 1, the
dampening becomes so strong that increased voting actually decreases the
resulting score -- bringing relatively less-voted-upon items into the
limelight.  And with a < 0, the dampening becomes so weak that it becomes
an "un-dampener," resulting in inflated summations.  (Recall that dividing
by n^-a is the same as multiplying by n^a.)  So for -1/2 < a < 0, the inflation
is mild, and for -1 < a < -1/2, the inflation is strong, and for a < -1, the
inflation is ultra-strong.

Anyway...the point is that just by adding a single member-configurable
preference (the exponentiation variable, with a default of a = 0.5),
a whole bunch of different curve behaviors could be had, almost for free,
and the coolest and most useful of these being a = 0, a = 1/2, and a = 1.

Channels? Huh?

http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?q=channels+rss

--Todd