 Administrative / General / 4831
Re: Article scoring
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 03:31:55 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Shiri Dori writes:
Sounds funky! What would be nice is a Top (X) messages of the
hour/day/week/month/etc page. Although, would that bias then be an unfair
one?
No, I think he means: create a place where the most positive-feedback
messages
of the day/week/time unit are displayed, so that people don't have to read
all
the letters and check each scoring individually, but find all the 'popular'
messages in one place.

I thought Richard was asking if having a "Top X" list sorted by the value of
the scoring function (not its slope or second derivative, which would have
something to do with the degree to which positive feedback was happening)
would have a negative side-effect of less-popular articles getting ignored
too much.

Oh-- OH! ... that makes it clearer. I was thrown off by Richard's first
sentence - "Sounds Funky! Wouldn't it be nice to have..."

My response was to say that the downside of the side-effect would
be much lessened by the sqrt() function.  :)

Also, a "Top X" list is basically the same in theory as a "Spotlight"
function, only it's much more collaborative and much more dynamic.

As the total number of messages being pumped through the system continues to
climb, it'll be more and more important to have filtering mechanisms like
this so that in fact less popular things _can_ be ignored -- because almost
no one will be able to read everything.  But the nice thing is, everyone
reads a different selection of posts and groups, so things actually won't
end up getting totally ignored.

I agree. It all depends on people's range of interest. I mean, if 100 people
responded in a +1 feedback to each of 10 very cool robotics posts, well,
that's nice - but if I'm not into robotics, I'll prolly only skim through and
go on to reading my 'regular' groups. OTOH, the busy people that are into
robotics will be able to read only these posts instead of reading all the
(very busy) robotics group.

So yeah, I think a 'Top X most popular posts of the Y' would be really nice.

-Shiri