 Administrative / General / 4557
Re: Ebay auction Group
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 06:45:24 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz writes:

Todd Lehman wrote in message ...
PLEASE!!!!!!! Consider this. Limit all Ebay subjects to this group????

Hmm.  I guess there are two alternatives, if this path were to be • explored...

First, let's say that there were a special group just for privately-run
auctions (auctions run by private individuals, that is, without the help of
an external auction service such as eBay).  Would be a mis-post then to
announce a third-party-involved auction there?  (I would think so.)  How
about the reverse?  Would it be a mis-post to announce a non-third-party-
involved auction in the regular auction group?  (I would think so, but I'm
less sure of that.)

Alternatively, let's say that the special group were just for • non-privately-
run auctions (that is, auctions involving a third-party service such as • eBay).
Would it be a mis-post then to announce a third-party-involved auction in • the
regular auction group?  (I would think so.)  How about the reverse?  Would • it
be a mis-post to announce a non-third-party-involved auction in the third-
party-involved auction group?  (I would think so.)

How do other people feel about eBay auction announcements?

My thoughts?

I think there is a significant who are interested in almost any market
posting except eBay. To me, this suggests that an easy line to draw is a
group for eBay announcements. Announcements of eBay auctions on other groups
would be verboten. I would allow people to point to eBay auctions in theory
for discussion purposes. Any other posts with a link to an eBay auction
would be restricted to market.eBay. This would make Larry's earlier post
mis-placed if it went anywhere other than market.eBay (I guess it would be
ok, but shaky, if we had market.services also). I'd also block any post
which was crossposted with market.eBay.

What about when someone sees an auction with photos of a Lego item we've never
seen before, like those Modulex Bricks and that wooden box full of near mint CA
bricks?  Would posts about those be disallowed?

Jeff