 Administrative / General / 4567
Re: Ebay auction Group
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 17:19:31 GMT

The reason I'd like to see a separate eBay group is that I am potentially
interested in seeing eBay posts, so I don't want a filter which
automatically chucks them, but I want to have them sort of all in one place
so I can ignore them, except when I want to look at them. This would be
possible at home if I was subscribed by e-mail since Outlook '98 would let
me send all the posts with eBay in the title to a single folder, but is
useless at work (Netscape 3.01 doesn't seem to have any filtering that I can
find, and I don't upgrade because newer versions of Netscape have got rid of
the window format I find useful, and means far more to me than seeing or not
seeing eBay auctions).

Now if people would use a standard header leadin, I could sort by subject,
and at least quickly mark all the eBay posts which are older than 10 days as
read.

One thing to think about, I have noticed that access to the Lugnet groups is
getting slower and slower, especially at home with Outlook Express. This is
because the entire news history is kept in the newsgroup. Hmm... here's a
thought, how technically difficult would it be to provide a news shadow
which would only maintain one weeks worth of posts? I'd also love to see
posts be autoedited to have the URL of the post at the end or top or
something so that I could easily bookmark the post rather than marking it
unread because it has useful permanent information. Actually what could be
even more interesting is if there was some way to tell the newsserver how
many days of posts you wanted it to present to you (perhaps by offering a
sequence of alternate news ports which coded the number of days or something
bizarre like that, I guess another possibility for members would be some way
to configure Lugnet).

I keep thinking about writing my own newsreader for Lugnet which would take
advantage of some of what is known about the Lugnet news server. It could
easily allow creation of bookmarks to posts for example. I'd also like an
ability to mark a post and have that mark be kept track of, but have a
choice of showing marked posts or not. I'd also like an ability to show me
how many new posts since the last time I read the newsgroup, not just the
total number unread.

Just some thoughts of mine.

Frank