 Administrative / General / 4545
Re: Ebay auction Group
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 01:48:34 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote in message ...
PLEASE!!!!!!! Consider this. Limit all Ebay subjects to this group????

Hmm.  I guess there are two alternatives, if this path were to be • explored...

First, let's say that there were a special group just for privately-run
auctions (auctions run by private individuals, that is, without the help of
an external auction service such as eBay).  Would be a mis-post then to
announce a third-party-involved auction there?  (I would think so.)  How
about the reverse?  Would it be a mis-post to announce a non-third-party-
involved auction in the regular auction group?  (I would think so, but I'm
less sure of that.)

Alternatively, let's say that the special group were just for • non-privately-
run auctions (that is, auctions involving a third-party service such as • eBay).
Would it be a mis-post then to announce a third-party-involved auction in • the
regular auction group?  (I would think so.)  How about the reverse?  Would • it
be a mis-post to announce a non-third-party-involved auction in the third-
party-involved auction group?  (I would think so.)

How do other people feel about eBay auction announcements?

My thoughts?

I think there is a significant who are interested in almost any market
posting except eBay. To me, this suggests that an easy line to draw is a
group for eBay announcements. Announcements of eBay auctions on other groups
would be verboten. I would allow people to point to eBay auctions in theory
for discussion purposes. Any other posts with a link to an eBay auction
would be restricted to market.eBay. This would make Larry's earlier post
mis-placed if it went anywhere other than market.eBay (I guess it would be
ok, but shaky, if we had market.services also). I'd also block any post
which was crossposted with market.eBay.

In this scheme Scott's previous post would be a little shaky, just like it
is/was now. It doesn't point to a specific eBay auction, nor to a search
query for Scott's auctions. But the main problem remains that Scott's post
was poorly worded. It was also crossposted to market.auction (I'm inclined
to think a block on certain cross posting would painlessly block posts like
Scott's and leave us only with more intentional mis-posts).

It would clearly be a lesser offence to list another auction in market.eBay.
My feeling is that this is mostly harmless, for the most part, the poster
will lose custom. Of course if someone cross posts (if we don't have the
block), or posts twice (real bad), then there is abusive mis-posting, which
should cause a penalty flag to come down.

The next question is do we have groups for other auction sites? Probably
not, I don't think there are currently any other auction sites which have
enough traffic to worry about.

Another related discussion I want to re-raise is the issue of "sealed bid
auctions". How are we going to deal with those? Also, has anyone thought on
my issue of how are eBay auctions really different from a "sealed bid
auction". I think what I'm trying to really get down to is what types of
market activities do people wish they would never see. My general feeling is
that there should be a single group for all market activity which has the
purpose of changing the ownership of LEGO toys and related stuff (as
separate from services). I do realize certain activities annoy some people.

If I got to have the rules which would satisfy me the most, we would have:

- All posts regarding eBay auctions, except those which are trying to
discuss some aspect of trading, belong in lugnet.market.eBay. There is NO
reason to crosspost between market.eBay and any other group except
market.theory or admin.general (for those situations where you need to raise
some administrative issue about a post in market.eBay).

- If you are posting an update to an existing offer in lugnet.market.trade,
you must thread your update (we'll give some grace to those who are using
broken tools, but I'd look hard at the broken tool, that isn't automatically
a good excuse to break rules).

If another auction site popped up which caused similar traffic to eBay, we'd
add a group for it.

Scott's post would still be very borderline. Larry's post would be
mis-placed. Hmm, I seem to be coming to the conclusion that Larry's post was
out of line. I guess it comes down to the fact that he was trying to collect
some of the business, not trying to point out a sleazy offer (though some
people may have felt the various train window offers were sleazy, I guess
the only thing I find offensive about John's original post is that you had
to "mail him for details" to find out the catch). I also continue to find
Scott's post borderline. I guess I see a difference between poor wording
(whether due to poor language skill, cultural differences [those English
speakers not from the US, was Scott's language more clear to you that a
trade was being offered?], or haste) and trying to short cut by pointing to
an auction which happens to have the text you want people to read.

Frank