 Administrative / General / 4564
Re: Ebay auction Group
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 15:57:12 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Rose Regner writes:
[...]
My request was just somehow to split the e-bay auctions from others. Because
of the sheer volume of e-bay posts, it would make sense to me to add an
"market.auction.e-bay" group. Otherwise, we would have a "market.auction"
and "market.auction.private". It just isn't very descriptive.
[...]
I just want a quick way to sift through the LUGNET postings, because I will
read about e-bay auctions later when I am on e-bay.

While a dedicated eBay newsgroup would seem nausiating to those who despise
eBay (myself included), I can certainly see how people might find it useful.
Yet I'm not sure what the real gain would be, because:

On the one hand, if there were a newsgroup called lugnet.market.auction.ebay,
then certainly posts of that nature would need to be restricted (somehow!) to
that group only, since that would be its purpose in the first place, and that
means there's a right way and a wrong way to make eBay-related auction posts
(right now there isn't, except for auctions in general).

But on the other hand, creating a new .ebay group and requiring that eBay
posts go there isn't much different from not creating a new .ebay group and
instead requiring that eBay posts simply contain the word "eBay" in the
subject line.  For example: