 Administrative / General / 4570
Re: Ebay auction Group
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 18:04:46 GMT

On Sat, 19 Feb 2000 15:57:12 GMT, "Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com>
wrote:

But on the other hand, creating a new .ebay group and requiring that eBay
posts go there isn't much different from not creating a new .ebay group and
instead requiring that eBay posts simply contain the word "eBay" in the
subject line.  For example:

Speaking of the other hand, I don't see those two as necessarily
equal.  In the first example, you make a group where eBay auction
listings, updates, etc, go.  In that example Joe eBay-despiser (or
simply Joe "I don't want to deal with a system that allows me to get
sniped at the last second") makes one tiny choice to avoid those
auctions (theoretically) forever.  He simply doesn't subscribe to the
group.  In fact, he doesn't even really *do* anything - he chooses to
*not* do something.  100 people could choose to not look at eBay
auction postings by simply not doing something - lots of non-work
there.

On the other hand, in the second example, Joe (and may 100 others), to
achieve the full benefit (i.e. not seeing the listings) have to go
through at least one or two steps to configure their news readers,
etc, and then there is still no guarantee.

And what about the web interface?  What about people in Euroland that
pay by the minute for connectivity and read via the web.  If Joe were
one of those poeple having a separate group could conceivably save him
some money because the pages he reads wouldn't be cluttered with eBay
stuff.  Same as with the client that isn't subscribed to the group.
Even those newsreaders that will filter have to at least go through
the process of receiving the header to know to ignore it.  More work
and more potential money spent ignoring something that could be
ignored with no work and no money spent if it were in a group to which
Joe and others were not subscribed.

Note, I'm fully aware of how worried this may make some of the regular
eBay sellers, but I don't think that should be much of a concern to
you or anyone else (and note I sell on eBay from time to time anyway).
Some might say "but my auctions won't get as much exposure if they are
only posted to .auction.eBay.  True.  One could also say they would
get even more exposure if posted to lugnet.general, but we don't allow
that, do we?  So many of the rules here seem to be designed to place
content where it belongs, and especially with respect to auctions, to
place it NOT where some people don't want to see it.  Don't think this
should be any different.

I'm not knocking eBay sellers, I'm just saying that in the same spirit
that auction listings are a no-no in non auction groups, I think
relegating eBay listings to an .ebay group could work just as well.
And those interested in seeing those auctions (me, for one) can
subscribe to the group.  Those not interested can have an easier time
in not dealing with them.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?