 Administrative / General / 4578
Re: Ebay auction Group
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 22:31:30 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote in message ...
In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz writes:
One thing to think about, I have noticed that access to the Lugnet groups • is
getting slower and slower, especially at home with Outlook Express.
This is because the entire news history is kept in the newsgroup.

Hmm, that sounds like a client newsreader bug.  It shouldn't be any slower
with a well-written newsreader, whether there are 100 messages or 100,000
messages.

Well, part of the problem may be the way I have it configured. OE caches
headers, which in general is REAL NICE, but does mean that it takes some
time to get into a newsgroup, even if there are just a couple unread posts
since it reads all those cached headers into memory (which of course turns
it into a memory hog). I may have to re-configure it to only cache a certain
number of messages (looks like the only choice is "days after downloading").

Hmm... here's a
thought, how technically difficult would it be to provide a news shadow
which would only maintain one weeks worth of posts?

Well, at some point, I'll have to start archiving the old messages out of
the NNTP-visible area, but they'll always be fully available of course via
the HTTP-visible area (the web interface).

Having 15,000 messages all avaliable at once in lugnet.general, for • example,
isn't a problem for a well-written newsreader, but it sounds like there are
some broken programs out there.  It should probably be whittled down to the
most recent 1000 or 2000 messages in each group -- or something like that.

When I've had some scattered ancient unread messages in Netscape, it seems
like it has also taken a while to download the messages. I don't know if
this is due to the number of header requests it needs to make, due to
processing the .newsrc file, or something else. I suspect it's mostly the
number of requests, and is noticeable due to the firewall at work (which is
way overloaded so there is a high cost for certain transactions, web pages
with tons of tiny pictures are incredibly painfull to view).

I'd also love to see
posts be autoedited to have the URL of the post at the end or top or
something so that I could easily bookmark the post rather than marking it
unread because it has useful permanent information.

BTW, if you happen to get the news by mail, there's a header in each • message
which contains a URL.

I suppose I should subscribe to the most interesting Lugnet groups by
e-mail. Then I could stay in Outlook (which doesn't get along with OE due to
memory problems). Of course the other advantage of news by mail is those
interesting articles can be locally stored in whatever folder one finds
convenient, though I am starting to index some of the more interesting
articles and threads from my web page, where I can then share the
categorization.

Actually what could be
even more interesting is if there was some way to tell the newsserver how
many days of posts you wanted it to present to you (perhaps by offering a
sequence of alternate news ports which coded the number of days or • something
bizarre like that, I guess another possibility for members would be some • way
to configure Lugnet).

Don't all client newsreaders have this option?  Just tell it to • delete/purge
anything older than N days -- it's usually configurable on a per-group • basis
too.

Hm, guess so, though I think it may be more on the lines of number of posts,
and I haven't seen it on a per newsgroup basis.

I keep thinking about writing my own newsreader for Lugnet which would • take
advantage of some of what is known about the Lugnet news server. It could
easily allow creation of bookmarks to posts for example. I'd also like an
ability to mark a post and have that mark be kept track of, but have a
choice of showing marked posts or not. I'd also like an ability to show • me
how many new posts since the last time I read the newsgroup, not just the
total number unread.

Sounds like you need Agent or Gravity!

I probably do have to try another newsreader. I guess you get what you pay
for when you use a free one. The good news at work is that it sounds like we
will soon be getting Wintel machines on our desk instead of RS/6000 AIX
machines, which means we'll have real tools available. Of course it will be
interesting to see how much Lotus Notes hogs the machine, right now, we log
into an NT server to use Notes so it doesn't get in the way of our desktop
machine... (of course right now, the big memory hog on my desktop machine is
when I'm working on a 512 meg core dump from one of our routers, the
debugging tool just loads the whole dump image into memory - you should have
seen what it was like to do anything else before I got a machine with 512
meg of memory, the only big problem right now is that I can only have one of
those core dumps on my machine at a time since I have a wopping 2 gig
harddrive... - yea, I work for the biggest computer company in the world,
and until a couple years ago, my home machine had better specs than my work
machine in every category [still has the work machine beat in video card and
hard drive space, probably also has a faster CD-ROM]).

Frank

Frank