 Administrative / General / 4555
Re: Ebay auction Group
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 05:54:12 GMT

On Sat, 19 Feb 2000 05:32:43 GMT, Kevin Wilson
<70641.507@compuserve.com> wrote:

A couple of points here:
1) announcing my bias just in case anyone doesn't know - I sell a lot of
parts on eBay.

I've sold a fair amount as of late there.

2) People have several times said to me specifically after winning an
auction - "I saw your post on LUGNET and I would have missed it
otherwise". The volume of Lego stuff on eBay is so great that it's
almost impossible not to miss stuff.

Ditto.

3) Most eBay sellers put eBay in the title of their posts: your software
would probably let you filter out nearly all the eBay posts.

True.

4) The easiest way to find all the private auctions easily, would be to
have a private auctions group, not just get rid of all the ebay auction
posts.

Hrmmmm.... I'm not so sure.

I waiver between despising eBay and refusing to look at it and using
it when I just plain want a) quick and easy and b) the chance to make
the most money from an item.  I still despise the place while I'm
using it, though.  But this isn't a bash eBay thread.

I would _much_ rather see all eBay auctions go into a separate group
and see private auctions of some sort move into their own group,
leaving eBay in the original group.  And not just eBay stuff - I think
third party sites in general would be better suited to another group.

There have been AFOL's doing e-mail based auctions a lot longer than
there have been AFOL's doing eBay auctions.  eBay postings, especially
some of them, sometimes annoy people because they have a great deal of
aversion for the place.  Private auction posts rarely do annoy people,
in my experience.

People who are interested in monitoring a subset of eBay Lego auctions
will find them just as easily in lugnet.market.auction.ebay as in
lugnet.market.auction.  Maybe more easily.

5) I would like to see any proposal for splitting the auction group
posted on market.auction itself to get the opinions of everyone who
frequents that group. Many (most?) people don't read admin.general.

I'd expect that people who were concerned with the structure of LUGNET
as _would_ read .admin.general, but I don't see anything wrong with
posting mention of this discussion there.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?