 Administrative / General / 3264
Re: "compartmentalized dorks"??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 20:05:19 GMT

In a recent (and active) thread entitled "This is irritating" in RTL, it's
been suggested that "Lugnet was designed for compartmentalised dorks" and
that "[it's] for the dorks who can't make up [their] own mind whether to
read a posting or not" and that I am "constantly telling people where they
can and can't post a message on the threat of being expelled"...

I personally happen to disagree with these opinions, but am concerned about
how such an impression could have formed, and whether other people share
that view.

--Todd

I haven't actually read this whole thread, just a bit here and there, but I'll
put in my $.02:

---RTL Theory---
RTL is great for people with lots of time and lots of bandwidth. When I had
access to a newsserver, and I was in school with a bunch of free time, I loved
reading RTL. It's also not very limiting-- just about anything Lego goes. You
can see posts about all subjects, which can sometimes be helpful-- as the
accuser suggests, buyers don't always know they're buyers until they're made
aware of sales that they would never had known about if they had waited until
they were thinking about it.

---Lugnet Theory---
Lugnet is great for those of us that don't have as much time or bandwidth. I
work. I don't really have the time to slog through 50 messages that don't
interest me, even if I know there's always the POTENTIAL that something will.
It helps me TREMENDOUSLY to be able to check groups that I know will interest
me, and not have to plod through messages. And as for marketing, yes, RTL is
geared towards the seller, Lugnet for the buyer. Buyers don't have in-your-face
auction updates and announcements unless they want them. Sellers are slightly
disadvantaged in that respect on Lugnet, but I think that's an acceptible price
to pay for civility.

And as for the "constant" policing you do of the system, I don't think it's a
hinderance at all. It honestly doesn't seem to happen THAT often (although
these past few weeks there have been a couple bad flames on the topic) and the
more it happens, the more people learn. Most people (if not all) don't commit
the same offense twice.

In any event, I think each has its place. Lugnet is simply where I would rather
be.

DaveE